Globes less than Golden on NBC

BY JEFF DICKERSON
Daily Arts Editor

It"s not the Academy Awards. It"s not even the Emmys. It"s the Golden Globes, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association"s self-described "biggest Hollywood party of the year." The media extravaganza is more about seeing the industry"s biggest and brightest stars having a few drinks rather than celebrating the year"s best in film and television.

The Beverly Hills Hilton was the site of the 59th annual awards ceremony, welcoming the stars of the big and small screens. Dick Clark, looking his usual 40-year-old self, welcomed guests as they emerged from their respective limousines in designer garb. Clark interviewed winners during the ceremony with his usual "American Bandstand" charm.

Tragedy struck in the opening minutes of Sunday evening"s 59th annual Golden Globe awards. NBC rolled out the red carpet with an appalling rendition of J. Lo"s hit single "Waiting for Tonight," rewritten with kindergarten lyrics describing the stars as the paraded into the decked out pavillion.

Ron Howard"s "A Beautiful Mind" was the big winner of Sunday night"s 59th annual Golden Globes, taking home four awards including Best Motion Picture Drama and Best Actor in a Drama for Russell Crowe.

In the Musical/Comedy film category, "Moulin Rouge" garnered awards for Best Picture and Best Actress for leading lady Nicole Kidman. Wes Anderson"s "The Royal Tenenbaums" was overlooked, but Gene Hackman managed to win the Best Actor award.

Box office behemoth "Lord of the Rings" failed to win any awards, as did David Lynch"s "Mulholland Dr." and the Coen Brothers film noir "The Man Who Wasn"t There."

The most surprising moments of the telecast came in the TV drama categories. HBO"s "Six Feet Under" won over fellow network juggernaut "The Sopranos" and NBC"s "The West Wing." Jennifer Garner won for her role on the spy action-drama "Alias," beating the odds on favorites Edie Falco and Lorraine Bracco of "The Sopranos." In the male department, Kiefer Sutherland took home the best actor award for his role on the critically acclaimed FOX drama "24."

NBC easily won the all-important Nielsen ratings Sunday night with the Golden Globes, besting the CBS made for TV Chuck Norris vehicle "The President"s Men," and ABC with "Alias, guest starring Quentin Tarantino.