University prof., law student required to complete 12 months probation in sex case

BY TREVOR CALERO
Daily News Editor
Published December 30, 2008

The University professor who stood accused of using a website to solicit sexual acts from a University Law School student has been required to undergo 12 months probation as part of the Deferred Sentencing Program.

Yaron Eliav, an associate professor in the Department of Near Eastern Studies, received a deferred sentence Tuesday after pleading no contest to a misdemeanor charge of using a computer to commit a crime.

Under the Deferred Sentencing Program, Eliav will be required to attend counseling and community service programs. If he successfully competes the 12-month probation period the charge will be dismissed.

The student, who also pleaded no contest to the charge of using a computer to commit a crime, also received a deferred sentence and will be required to complete 12 months probation.

The 22-year-old student told the Ann Arbor Police that, as a way to help pay her law school tuition costs, she began advertising sexual acts on Craigslist.

In April, Eliav contacted the student through the website. She said she didn’t have intercourse with Eliav but he agreed to pay her $300 for other sexual acts.

In October, the student reported the incident to the Ann Arbor Police.

In addition to probation, Eliav and the student must pay the $20 a month fees for probation and $400 for court fees and costs.

When contacted Tuesday, Doug Mullkoff, Eliav’s attorney, said he had no comment on the issue.

Calls to Michael Maddaloni, the student’s attorney, have not been returned.