Campus Notes

Drumming group performs on diag

The King David Peace Drummers, an Israeli musical group that uses music to spread a message of peace through communal drumming, will be performing today on the Diag at noon.

The event is sponsored by the American Movement for Israel and the Israel-Michigan Public Affairs Committee.

Dark side of Dao discussed by history professor

As part of the Brown Bag Lecture series, Suzanna Cahill, a Chinese history professor from the University of California at San Diego, will give a talk, titled "The Dark Side of the Dao: Nuns and Female Saints During the Tang Dynasty," today at noon.

It will be held in Room 1636 of the International Institute on South University Avenue.

Institute director gives talk at Union

Institute for the Humanities Director Daniel Herwitz, who recently returned from a trip to South Africa, will give a talk, titled "To Do Justice to Transitional Societies" at the Pendleton Room in the Michigan Union today at 2 p.m.

Wallenberg Medal will be presented to labor activist

The 12th Annual University Wallenberg Lecture and Medal Presentation will take place tomorrow at 7 p.m. in Room 1800 of the Chemistry Building on North University Avenue.

University President Mary Sue Coleman will award the medal to Kailash Satyarthi, head of the South Asian Coalition on Child Servitude. Satyarthi will lecture on his efforts over the past 10 years to emancipate over 40,000 people from bonded labor.

The Wallenberg medal is awarded annually to outstanding humanitarians in memory of Swedish diplomat and University alum Raoul Wallenberg, who saved thousands of Hungarian Jews from the Nazis during World War II.

Panel to discuss Brazilian dance

University Spanish Prof. Lucia Suarez will give a talk on Brazailian dance Thursday at 2:30 p.m. at Room 1636 in the School of Social Work. The lecture will be followed by a panel discussion with members of the Brazilian dance troupe Grupo Corpo.

Professor gives talk on uses of academic freedom

Author and University Law Prof. Catherine MacKinnon will give a lecture, titled "From Powerlessness to Power: The Uses of Academic Freedom," Thursday at 4 p.m. at 100 Hutchins Hall, located in the Law School.

MacKinnon is known for helping pioneer the prosecution of sexual harassment suits in the 1970s, and her talk is part of a series honoring three University faculty members who lost their jobs when they refused to testify before the House Un-American Activities Committee in 1954.

Newberry Award winner reads from childhood memoir

Newberry Award-winning author Paula Fox will read from her childhood memoir "Borrowed Finery" Thursday at 5 p.m. in Room D1270 Davison Hall at 701 Tappan Rd.

School of Art and Design hosts acclaimed sculptor

The University School of Art and Design will host acclaimed New York City sculptor Chakaia Booker Thursday at 5 p.m. at the Art and Architecture Building on 2000 Bonisteel Blvd. Booker is known for piling twisted masses of car and truck tires into huge forms resembling shamans' masks or shaggy yaks.

Homosexuality in Russia will be topic of lecture

Kent State Russian translation Prof. Brian Baer will lecture on "Other Russia: Homosexuality and National Identity in Post-Soviet Culture" tomorrow at noon in Room 1636 of the School of Social Work.

- Compiled by Daily Staff Reporter Soojung Chang.