Campus Notes

A cappella group wins national award for song

Amazin" Blue took the award for runner-up in the Best Song category at the 2001 Contemporary A Cappella Recording Awards mixed collegiate category for "Millennium," the opening track on the group"s latest CD, "Raising the Bar."

The CARAs are the cappella equivalent of the Grammy Awards. The award is the seventh CARA award for Amazin" Blue"s five albums the group has been nominated eleven times.

"Millennium," which was arranged by Music and LSA senior Dana Haynes and sung by Music junior David Reiser is included on the annual "Best of College A Cappella" compilation CD. This is the seventh time Amazin" Blue has been on the BOCA CD, more than any other group in the country.

Moneo to deliver Wallenberg lecture

Today the University College of Architecture and Urban Planning will host Madrid architect Rafael Moneo, 1996 winner of the Pritzker Prize, what is generally seen as architecture"s highest honor.

The lecture is the annual Raoul Wallenberg lecture, celebrating architecture as a humane social art. The lecture honors the memory of University architecture school alumnus Raoul Wallenberg, who saved thousands of Hungarian Jews during the Holocaust before disappearing in the Soviet Gulag at the end of World War II.

The free lecture will be held in 104 Art and Architecture Building on North Campus at 6 p.m.

NYC novelist to read at bookstore

Francine Prose, an New York City novelist and essayist, will read from "Blue Angel," a satire of academia, on Thursday at 8 p.m. at Shaman Drum Bookshop on State Street.

"Blue Angel" is set at a fictitious college in rural Vermont and looks at the plague of self-delusion that thrives in English and creative writing departments.

Novelist Russell Banks says "Blue Angel is a smart-bomb attack on academic hypocrisy and cant, and Francine Prose, an equal-opportunity offender, is as politically incorrect on the subject of sex as Catullus and twice as funny."

Prose will sign her novel after the reading.

Former researcher to discuss book

The Ann Arbor District Library"s "Booked for Lunch" series will sponsor retired Ann Arbor public schools teacher Walter Scheider, also a former University research scientist in a free lecture from 12:10 p.m. to 1 p.m. tomorrow in the library"s multipurpose room at 343 S. Fifth Avenue.

Scheider will discuss his award-winning book aimed at general audiences, "Maxwell"s Conundrum: A Serious but Not Ponderous Book about Relativity." The lecture will be taped for repeat broadcasts on cable channel 17.

Solar car ready for race, unveiling

The University Solar Car Team will unveil its all new design for a solar-powered vehicle on Wednesday at 3:30 p.m. outside the Lurie Engineering Center on North Campus.

The solar-powered car is called M-Pulse, and was built in response to a worldwide challenge to highlight alternative energy sources.

The first University student effort to build a solar car was in 1989, and the M-Pulse is the sixth solar vehicle to be built. The student team that works on the M-Pulse, compiled of students from the College of Engineering, the Business School and the School of Art and Design, has redesigned its 1999 car from scratch to produce the M-Pulse.

At top speed, the M-Pulse should reach 80 miles per hour and accelerate from 0 to 60 miles per hour in 12 seconds with zero emissions.

Compiled by Daily Staff Reporter Whitney Elliott.