Antigone Rising sinks with new album

BY JERRY GORDINIER
Daily Arts Writer

In the spirit of Starbucks and its newest "Hear Music" gem, Antigone Rising, it would only be fair to say that From the Ground Up is a tall vanilla Frappicinno left out in the sun - thin, weak and nauseating.

The pop-rock-alternative five-member, all-female band's first release with Lava records, Ground Up, can be summed up simply with the opener. "Hello" is a tepid, acoustic lead-guitar against painfully drawn-out electric guitar. It comes out sounding more like a lesson in scales then a profound statement and gets buried even further in lukewarm lyrics such as "Hello, hello, it's good to see you my friends / Hello, hello, it's good to see you again."

This unhurried, "Take-It-Easy" Eagles mentality ends up coming off as sluggish and dim. The interplay between instrumentation never works. The random interspersed piano seems more like an outlet to make sure each of the five girls gets a chance to play rather than something that adds to the musical integrity or experience.

Despite Antigone Rising's best efforts, there is still a severe lack of presence and an emptiness that resonates throughout the album. It's something that comes off as completely commercial and lacking in substance. Ground Up is a shiny, pre-packaged bag of vanilla roast - for trend-seekers only.

Music Review: 1 out of 5 stars