A2 resident dies Friday after partying

BY KAREN SCHWARTZ
Daily Staff Reporter

The Ann Arbor Police Department is awaiting the results of an autopsy following the death of 21-year-old Ann Arbor resident Dustin Goodman, who died sometime Friday morning at the Zeta Psi fraternity on East University Avenue.

Goodman was not a University student, but he was a member of the fraternity. A Zeta Psi alum who wished to remain anonymous said Goodman had not lived in the house since 1999.

The fraternity, which is not currently affiliated with the University's Inter-Fraternity Council, held a party Thursday night that Goodman attended.

AAPD Lt. Khurum Sheikh said the police received a call from Zeta Psi at about 1:10 p.m. Friday. When police went to the house, they found Goodman's body in the basement.

"He could have had a medical problem we didn't know about. There was no obvious trauma to the body," Sheikh said. "The autopsy will tell us what it was. At this point, there is no indication of foul play."

Zeta Psi member and LSA sophomore Bill Gitterman said Goodman was "definitely up during the whole party" and "one of the last ones at the party." Gitterman also said that at one point Goodman "separated himself from the party."

Gitterman recalled Goodman as a "great guy" with many friends. "He made a lot of friends in Ann Arbor. He probably had more friends than anyone," Gitterman said.

Zeta Psi Alumni Association President Michael Hertzel said the organization has a strong policy against drug abuse.

"This is a senseless tragedy," he said. "The Zeta Psi alums are very concerned about substance abuse on campus and that's what it looks like."

Hertzel added that he has plans to contact the national chapter and said he was not sure if anyone else already had. He said a decision has not been reached yet as far as further action because additional information has not been released by the police.

"The death of someone that is part of a fraternity is always a concern and so the fact that the police are involved is noteworthy," he said. "We're cooperating and we're waiting to hear from them what happened."

"I don't know what happened that night," Hertzel said. "Its only been four days."

Goodman worked at Jimmy's Sgt. Pepper, a convenience store on East University Avenue.

"He had been with me for four years," Sgt. Pepper owner Jimmy Elia said. "So that's a big loss for me, not just of an employee but a friend."

"I walked in, talked to him for a couple of minutes, had a drink with him and then walked out around midnight," Elia said. He added that he had been to other parties at the house and that they were not the kind of events where bad things happened.

"Nobody ever got hurt there, nobody ever hurt anybody," Elia said. "They're all nice guys and girls that just wanna unwind."