BY GJON JUNCAJ
Daily Sports Writer
Published November 19, 2008
Junior defenseman Steve Kampfer was not wearing a protective neck brace at practice Wednesday for the first time since he was injured in an off-ice incident Oct. 12. Doctors have permitted Kampfer, who fractured his skull in an alleged assault, to remove the brace. Kampfer's physical activity is still limited to exercises like riding a stationary bike, Michigan coach Red Berenson said.
"At this point, I have no idea when he’ll allow (Kampfer) to skate," Berenson said. "Whether it’s in the next few days, maybe skating on his own. I’ll let you know when he’s skating with the team, at least, (or) when there’s even a horizon as far as him returning to action."
Kampfer, an Anaheim Ducks fourth-round draft pick, was hospitalized after an early-morning incident, which took place on Church Street near East Quad. Former Michigan running back Mike Milano was charged and arraigned for two counts of assault stemming form the incident earlier this week.