Emotions ran high Saturday night among the University of Michigan’s fraternities. Cheers were shouted, blood was spilled and rivalries were ignited — all before the night’s festivities even began. 

The inaugural Greek Fight Night, organized by the University of Michigan Boxing Club and sponsored by TITLE Boxing Club Ann Arbor, was held at the Intramural Sports Building, and aimed to raise money for charity. Thirteen social and professional fraternities participated, each using the event to fundraise for a different organization.

Twenty-one fights were held over the course of the night. Though most of the participants were male, the event began with three fights between women on the club boxing teams from the University of Illinois and the University of Michigan. The next 18 fights were between two men from different fraternities, although some members of the boxing team also participated.

According to a comment on the event’s Facebook page, several sororities denied invitations to participate, but the University of Michigan Boxing Club does hope to have sororities participate next year.

“Unfortunately, after reaching out to several sorority boards, many declined the offer to participate!” University of Michigan Boxing Club wrote. “We hope to include sorority fights for our second annual!”

Although all fraternity members were amateur boxers, the men spent two and a half months training before the event with the Boxing Club. Each match was a sanctioned USA Boxing Bout, and officials from USA Boxing were there to moderate the fights.

“The guys have been training long and hard for the past month … each boxer is matched up by weight and experience level,” the Boxing Club wrote on its Facebook page. “It is a completely sanctioned event with USA Boxing officials there to look after the safety of the boxers.”

LSA sophomore Sam Finn, president of the Delta Sigma Phi fraternity, participated in the fight because it seemed like a good way to raise money for charity and have fun with the greater Greek life community.

“It definitely seemed like an opportunity to do one of the coolest things I’ve ever done,” Finn said. “And it wasn’t really nerve-wracking because the second you walk in, the only thing you’re focused on is the other person. But it’s definitely a really intense adrenaline rush.”

Finn’s fraternity was raising money for the American Red Cross, and while they don’t yet know how much money the event raised, he estimates over 500 tickets were sold. The ticket revenue will be split between the 13 different philanthropy organizations.

Finn said the night was an incredible experience.

“If they let me do it next year, I would 100 percent do it again,” he said.