After 17 months of intensive renovations, the Intramural Sports Building reopened Wednesday, two months later than was originally estimated.

At the start of the project, the renovations were projected to cost the University of Michigan $21.4 million, a budget revised from the original budget of $18.7 million, funded in part by a donation from Stephen Ross. The total actual cost was not available Wednesday — additional information about the project is slated to be provided at the building’s ribbon-cutting ceremony on Oct. 6. University President Mark Schlissel and E. Royster Harper, vice president for student life, will speak at the ceremony.

The reopened building, originally constructed in 1928, still has its original architectural features. The renovations focused mostly on infrastructure enhancements, including 200 new pieces of cardio and strength equipment, social lounges and rooms for group and personal training. Other structural improvements include a central air conditioning system and new lighting to compliment the multitude of full length windows.

LSA sophomore Jackson Dumas said in an interview with the Daily he is excited to spend time at the IM Building after the recent renovations.

“I’m absolutely excited, 100 percent stoked,” Dumas said. “It’s a great facility, great people. Just a fun place to be.”

Prior to Wednesday, the University’s Recreational Sports Department had been actively campaigning for the reopening on their Twitter page, frequently posting photos highlighting the improvements to the building and new equipment.

The IM Building is one of three workout facilities available to students and University staff, alongside the North Campus Recreational Building and the Central Campus Recreational Building, which will also be renovated.  The CCRB opened in 1976 and lacks many of the new features now included in the IM Building — including air conditioning and social lounges.

LSA junior Hannah Jo Maier, who works at the IM Building, said she is excited for her fellow students to see what the new building has to offer.

“We just officially opened today. It’s been hectic but nice, being able to show people this $21 million building,” she said. “I think we’ll get a lot more people than the CCRB (with the new renovations).”