According to an email sent by Charlie Houlik Wednesday night to members of the Sigma Kappa sorority living in the chapter house, “up to 30 Fraternity guys have been hospitalized with the Norovirus.” The email stated the sorority Kappa Kappa Gamma had closed its doors to any nonresidents, and encouraged members of Sigma Kappa to do the same.

There were reports last week of a vomit-inducing illness originating from an unspecified fraternity when several members of Mary Markley Residence Hall suddenly became sick.

“It started off with one girl, because I guess one of the frats on campus had it, and then her sorority mixed with them on Saturday so she got it,” said LSA freshman Haya Akbik last week. “Then she gave it to her roommate, and some girls in our hall got it, and last night a girl in our hall slept in my room because her roommate had it and was puking all night, and then my friend on the other side of Markley has it.”

University of Michigan representatives say they have not seen any evidence to substantiate the email. According to University spokesperson Kim Broekhuizen, there have been no new cases of gastrointestinal illness in the past week.

“I can tell you with 100 percent certainty that no one has been hospitalized,” she said. “Typically, it’s my understanding that they don’t test to confirm norovirus unless there’s a significant concentration of an outbreak in one single area, and we haven’t had that.”

Mary Masson, director of institutional positioning for Michigan Medicine (formerly known as the University of Michigan Health System), confirmed Broekhuizen’s statement.

Though, a member of Phi Kappa Psi fraternity who asked to remain anonymous said he was diagnosed with norovirus at Michigan Medicine.

“It was UMHS, and yeah, they said it was the norovirus,” he said.

According to the website for the Center for Disease Control, the most common symptoms of norovirus are diarrhea, throwing up, nausea and stomach pain, while less common symptoms are fever, headaches and body aches.”

The anonymous member of Phi Kappa Psi described similar symptoms.

“I was really at the peak of it on Friday and Saturday,” he said. “It was mostly just throwing up and constant nausea along with a pretty intense fever. Overall it didn’t last more than 30 hours.”

When asked about the content of the email sent to Sigma Kappa, the anonymous fraternity brother could not verify its accuracy.

“I know there’s a couple of kids within Greek life that have it,” he said. “I haven’t heard of that many people being affected by it but I’d have no way of knowing.”