2012-01-19

Thursday, April 24, 2014

January 19, 2012 - 3:39am

#Michlinks: Jan. 19, 2012

BY ZACH BERGSON

#Michlinks is The Michigan Daily’s new citizen journalism tool that compiles reporting about Ann Arbor and the University of Michigan. If you find an interesting piece about the city of Ann Arbor, college life or the University, send a tweet with the hashtag #Michlinks for a chance to be published on our website. You can also contribute #Michlinks by e-mailing bergson@michigandaily.com with your recommendations.

#Michlinks was inspired by Propublica’s social networking tool #Muckreads. Similar to #Muckreads, the goal of #Michlinks is to use social networking to enhance your access to reporting about our community. Though the Daily will contribute a number of interesting pieces to #Michlinks, your participation is key to its success.

Here's our seventh entry of #Michlinks:

'Gay Families Matter' Rally Targets Rick Snyder To Protest Ban On Domestic Partner Benefits

Yesterday, LGBT groups and their allies rallied at the steps of Michigan’s Capitol against Republican Gov. Rick Snyder’s support of allegedly discriminatory legislation that impacts their livelihood. Last month, Snyder signed a bill that is particularly controversial because it denies healthcare benefits for unmarried partners of some public employees.

Original tweet : Activists rally to tell Governor Synder that 'Gay Families Matter.' huff.to/w216M9 #Michlinks

Affirmative-Action Foe Is Facing Allegations of Financial Misdeeds

Ward Connerly, a businessman who has championed the anti-affirmative action movement over the last two decades, is facing accusations from his former employee Jennifer Gratz of exploiting donations to his American Civil Rights Institute. Gratz is famous in the anti-affirmative action movement for being the lead plantiff in the landmark 2003 Supreme Court case that banned an affirmative action based admissions policy at the University.

Original tweet : Ward Connerly Faces Allegations of Fiscal Misdoingnyti.ms/wLTkXC

Dismantling Detroit

Documentary filmmakers Heidi Ewing and Rachael Grady take a look into the dismantling of industrial Detroit in this short movie. They focus on young men who collect scrap metal from the city’s abandoned buildings.

Original tweet : The Oscar-nominated directors of "Jesus Camp" turn their lens on Detroit for #nytopdocs and #sundance nyti.ms/yQwvjC @lokifilms

|