2012-04-09

Thursday, April 17, 2014

April 9, 2012 - 11:24pm

Michigan safety Furman suspended after legal trouble, no timetable set

BY STEPHEN J. NESBITT

Jed Moch/Daily

Josh Furman has been suspended from the Michigan football program after the coaching staff learned of a trio of legal charges levied on the redshirt sophomore safety.

According to court records, Furman has been charged with three offenses — domestic violence, assault and breaking and entering — that occurred in the early morning hours of Feb. 11. Furman is scheduled before judge Elizabeth Pollard Hines in the 15th District Court on April 23.

“Josh was suspended indefinitely from team activities as soon as we became aware of the report,” said Michigan coach Brady Hoke in a released statement. “These are serious allegations, We will allow the judicial process to run its course before making a final determination on his status with the program.”

No timetable has been set for Furman’s return to the Michigan football program.

The court records show the location of the offenses as 600 E. Madison Street — better known as South Quad.

As first reported by Sam Webb of GoBlueWolverine.com and later elaborated on by the Detroit Free Press, Furman was in a dorm room with two women and received a threatening text from another male.

“Mr. Furman got up and they thought he was going to try to find the man so the two females jumped on him,” Furman’s attorney, Gerry Mason, told the Free Press. “The only person injured was Mr. Furman, who had a dreadlock pulled out of his head.”

Furman has since shaved his head. And Mason expects that a thick head of hair will be the only price his client will have to pay.

Mason told the Free Press that the whole situation had been blown out of proportion.

Hoke will speak with reporters on Tuesday during a conference call, where the matter will be approached for the first time since defensive coordinator Greg Mattison averted the question last week in a press conference.

Furman appeared in 12 games last season and tallied 10 total tackles, though most of his action was on special teams.

— This is a developing story. Visit michigandaily.com for updates.

|