2012-06-19

Thursday, April 24, 2014

July 19, 2012 - 8:10pm

Man arrested for sex crimes, larceny on campus last fall pleads 'no contest'

BY STEVE ZOSKI

On Monday, AnnArbor.com reported that 25-year-old Canton resident Adam Hester appeared in the Washtenaw County Trial Court and pleaded no contest to four charges related to an alleged series of crimes on campus last year.

Nine charges were brought against Hester after alleged incidents at various places around campus in 2011. He was arrested after allegedly sexually assaulting a student in East Quad Residence Hall when he lifted her skirt and inappropriately grabbed her.

According to Department of Public Safety Lt. Robert Neumann, video footage of Hester from outside East Quad helped police identify him.

Hester pleaded no contest to charges of assault, resisting a police officer and two counts of aggravated indecent exposure and fourth-degree criminal sexual misconduct, according to AnnArbor.com.

The remaining five charges — two counts of receiving stolen property, indecent exposure, assault and videotaping images of a person not wearing clothing — will be dropped as part of the plea deal.

On Jan. 27, Hester had been declared incompetent to stand trial by the court.

In other adduced incidents last fall, Hester allegedly videotaped someone in a bathroom stall and indecently exposed himself on campus.

Neumann said Hester also allegedly stole credit cards from Ann Arbor residents and made fraudulent purchases.

Neumann added that Hester was arrested in Angell Hall at 435 S. State St. on Nov. 11 at 11:40 p.m. He had been identified by a female who told police Hester had just grabbed her ankle while she was near the Fishbowl.

Neumann said Hester resisted arrest.

“The officer encountered the suspect, spoke to the suspect (and) determined he had probable cause to make an arrest. The suspect resisted, pulled away, ran from the officer. The officer had been tackled and made several attempts to handcuff … and investigation following that they connected him to several other cases,” Neumann said.

Hester’s attorney, Detroit-based Byron Pitts, was unavailable for comment.

This is a developing story. Check back at michigandaily.com for updates.

Correction appended: A previous version of this article misidentified the entity that ruled Hester incompetent to stand trial.

|