Julia Schachinger/Daily. Buy this photo.

Before I became a vegetarian two years ago, sushi was my favorite food. I loved the comfort of the rice rolled tightly in a seaweed wrap, with a fresh mix of spring veggies and a cut of tuna. I thought that when I became vegetarian I would have to say goodbye to sushi forever, since raw fish didn’t exactly seem compatible with a plant-based diet. But no matter your dietary preferences, or even if you’re not the most traditional fan of sushi, you need to try Totoro. 

Centrally situated on South State Street, a block or so from the Diag, Totoro offers both classic Japanese foods and reinvented creations. I’ll be honest — I’m a relatively new customer. It wasn’t until one night earlier this year, while looking for a quick and satisfying take-out dinner that my friends recommended we order from Totoro. Being vegetarian, I was at first hesitant. But with a quick glimpse of the menu, I noticed nearly 20 veggie rolls and even more plant-based options like noodles and tempura. Of course, I’ve heard plenty of good reviews about their salmon rolls and delicious gyoza, too. There’s no shortage of dishes to order. 

With reasonable prices and an accessible location, Totoro is a great place to dine in or take out, whether you’re looking for your go-to roll or interested in trying something new. Take it from me, a long-time sushi fan dedicated to making her way through every veggie roll on the menu.

Daily Staff Reporter Lily Gooding can be reached at goodingl@umich.edu.