Dominick Sokotoff/Daily. Buy this photo.

Now reigning as the best ice cream for four years in a row according to The Michigan Daily’s annual Best of Ann Arbor poll, Blank Slate creamery has become a staple in the community since opening its doors in 2014. Blank Slate, a family-owned business, makes all of its ice cream from scratch using all natural ingredients.

To no surprise, there is usually a line around the building for the wide assortment of flavors offered by Blank Slate. Some are unconventional, like blueberry pancake or minted matcha, and some are good old classics like green mint chip or cookies-and-cream. In addition to offering dairy-free and vegan ice creams, Blank Slate employees freshly bake their own waffle cones daily. 

Like many businesses, Blank Slate had to adjust and find new ways to continue serving the community during the COVID-19 pandemic. They converted their storefront into a takeout window where customers can order from outside the building or order online, and then take their ice cream to go. Hopefully in the future customers will once again be able to enter the store and smell the fresh waffle cones while leaving a message on the chalkboards adjoining the walls. 

Owner and U-M alum Janice Sigler said she is honored that Blank Slate Creamery is a part of student life, adding that the University is integral to the vitality of their business.  

“It’s a special honor for us, whenever the students vote us best ice cream,” Sigler said. “We really value that and we’re glad to be a part of the community, and we’re also really happy that students will walk as far as they do to get an ice cream.”

Daily News Editor Hannah Mackay can be reached at mackayh@umich.edu.