Alec Cohen/Daily. Buy this photo.

Being voted a team captain is a great achievement and a testament to one’s work ethic and leadership on and off the field. Griffin Mazur, a transfer from the University of California, Irvine, was appointed one of the captains before ever even playing a real game for the Michigan baseball team. In the Wolverines’ first weekend, a four-game series against Iowa, Mazur displayed an impressive performance as he batted .300 with two home runs, eight RBI and a .533 OBP.

After starting over 50 games in his collegiate career for the Anteaters, Mazur arrived in Ann Arbor and immediately formed bonds with his new teammates while also displaying his extensive baseball experience.

“(Mazur’s) leadership is just off the charts and he is just a guy that takes command of the field,” Michigan coach Erik Bakich said. “He’s a spark plug. He gets big kids. He’s a clutch hitter.” 

Going into the third game of the series, the Wolverines sat at 1-1 and Mazur struggled to get things going at the dish, going 0-4 in his first game. In Michigan’s third game, though, Mazur came through. With the bases loaded in the second inning, the Wolverines needed a big hit with Mazur up at the plate. He delivered.

Mazur launched a ball over the fence in left field, celebrating as he trotted around the bases following a grand slam for the first hit of his Michigan career.

“You love to see your brother hit a homerun,” sophomore right fielder Tito Flores said. “You love to see Griffin go grand slam (Sunday) and then come back to hit a three run (on Sunday). It’s a wonderful feeling to see that, you know, he’s a wonderful person and that’s why he’s one of our captains on this team.”

In the three games Mazur played, the team went 3-0, and he was a major reason for their early victories. He batted fourth in the lineup every time and had two of the three home runs during the weekend for the Wolverines. He was the talk of the team, and even though the team knew he was a great player, they were still a little surprised by his immediate impact on the field.

“He’s a general out there on the field. I mean he’s, he’s got all the intangible skills you would want,” Bakich said. “If you are coaching a team, I mean the guy has just got the total hit factor.”

Being named a team captain before even playing a game is a difficult task to achieve on its own. It’s even more difficult to contribute huge hits right away. As a leader in the locker room and on the diamond, Mazur will surely be a key fixture for Michigan as the season continues.

The COVID-19 pandemic has thrown challenges at all of us — including The Michigan Daily — but that hasn’t stopped our staff. We’re committed to reporting on the issues that matter most to the community where we live, learn and work. Your donations keep our journalism free and independent. You can support our work here.

For a weekly roundup of the best stories from The Michigan Daily, sign up for our newsletter here.