As the saying goes, the fashion world saved the best for last. Paris remains the culmination of our long-awaited fashion month. After months of preparation, the final models have walked the runway and now the work cycle begins again to prep for the next anticipated fashion week. Designers showcasing in Paris know the spotlight hits them a bit brighter than some of the other fashion week cities, and they gave the Instagram bloggers and Snapchat fiends a lot to talk about. Some collections stunned and yet, some also fell flat. Here are our top three buzzworthy collections from PFW:

Maison Margiela

A master of refined eccentricity, John Galliano continues to run a well-oiled machine at Maison Margiela. After years of peddling avant-garde styles with Dior that even the most dedicated of fashion’s intelligentsia were hesitant to support, Galliano’s time at Margiela had been something of a test for him and the styles he values. Sure enough, the same approach he had at Dior has now been embraced during his time at Margiela, with his latest outing in Paris being a fine example.

Hybridity was a constant theme that permeated the runway, with a seamless blending of military khaki and chiffon, along with what seemed like a colorful vinyl apron fit for a late ’90s suburban mother worn with a plaid skirt that can be only described as meant for the closet of someone in the 19th century English gentry. Galliano liked employing the weird and eccentric for this latest collection, but weird and eccentric are his bread and butter so all I can really do is laud him for his unconventional mastery.

Maison Margiela’s showing at Paris is indicative of what seems to be a larger theme at play in the fashion world, which is finding artistic cohesion between styles and time periods that are considerably far apart (Gucci’s latest collection being an example). Some could argue that it’s influenced by Galliano’s own longstanding style. Whether or not that’s the case, considering where fashion is headed, Galliano and Margiela are fortunate to be in a good place.

Anay Katyal

Saint Laurent

There is a fine line between couture and costume, and Hedi Slimane’s latest collection for Saint Laurent teetered much too close to the later. The designer resurrected the vapid prom queen of the 1980s for what may or may not have been his final season at the storied French brand. In what Women’s Wear Daily called a “petulant parody,” Slimane presented a grand display of tacky mini dresses better suited for bat mitzvah wear than a runway show.

The collection seemed to almost blend together in a homogenous slew of tacky evening wear. Itty-bitty mini dress came equipped with unique, albeit overdone, fixtures; fat leather belts, cheetah print ruffles, dazzling sequins and an abundance of ostentatious shoulder protrusions. The dresses came paired with chunky gold chokers and bangles, leaving the look feeling stale and flat. The models were made up in typical ’80s fashion: dark eyes, red lips, slicked back hair. Overall, the collection would have been much better off in the costume closet on the set of the CW’s failed series, “The Carrie Diaries,” than on the Parisian runways. Slimane — the ’80s called, they want to be buried and never come back. 

Jordan Stern

Rick Owens

Right off the bat, I just want to say I don’t even think I’m cool enough to be reviewing this collection, but here goes nothing. The show takes place in a cement-clad warehouse, with EDM bumping in the background. Now that’s #coolAF. Every model on the runway is wearing the same pair of shoes — resembling a tennis shoe with no laces that in fact turns into a knee-high leather boot (trippy, I know). If my calves would allow, I’d wear these with everything in my closet. For a good portion of the show these boots are only in black, but eventually we see more color, including seafoam green, grey and brown — a perfect progression.

A lot of the collection features garments with tons of “fabric grouping,” or folding, which gives the pieces a certain depth and more bulk. They are loose fitting, casual and high end all at once. What struck me the most were the models sprinkled throughout the show with gauzy domes over their heads. The headpieces resembled something of an afro that covers the eyes, perhaps akin to a voluminous veil. I have no idea what the meaning was behind this, but I love it.

With his latest collection, Rick Owens has provided us with wearable, high fashion pieces. Showcasing a palette of basic colors such as black, white, brown and seafoam green, they will flatter just about any body type. Fair warning, when wearing these clothes your “cool” factor will be off the charts. 

Hannah Sparks