She’s only an “it-girl” if I want to steal her life. For me, that the line to be drawn for the definition. Trouble is, the girls whose lives I would like to steal the most are fictional imprints of the author’s imaginations. But that does not make me want their lives any less. 

Lady Macbeth
The literal and metaphorical Queen of “Macbeth.” Was that a low-hanging sentence? Yes. But it was wholly necessary. She’s in a league way above her Shakespearean contemporaries; she isn’t whiney like Juliet and Ophelia, she’s bold, beautiful and bloodthirsty. Lady Macbeth is the ultimate badass; unapologetically ambitious and determined. In a time when women were thought of as nothing but disposable accessories, she mercilessly pursued power. Admittedly, her proclivity to murder is a little off-putting, but a girl’s got to have some flaws.
Anne Shirley
Red-headed and befreckled Anne Shirley of “Ann of Green Gables” is nothing short of ridiculous. She personifies the term “extra” a century before it even came into existence. She is unabashedly melodramatic –– after accidentally dying her much loathed red hair green she wails that her life cannot possibly go on. But her over-the-top nature only adds to her endless charm and fuels her unparalleled sense of imagination. 
Hermione Granger
The true hero of the Harry Potter series. Or, at least, to nerdy know-it-all girls like me. Those two buffoons would be no where if it wasn’t for Hermione’s logic, wits and ingenuity. Being a witch is undeniably cool, but being the best witch in a wizarding school infinitely cooler.
Eloise
No one can pull off an egg cup hat like Eloise. The little diva, who lives in the Plaza Hotel, made life at The Plaza so alluring. Plus she was in possession of just about the coolest pets a six-year-old could possibly have: Weenie the pug and Skipperdee the turtle.
Scout Finch
Universally beloved. Arguably the greatest thing is to be loved by all, and “To Kil a Mockingbird” ’s Scout’s narration captures the heart of all. She’s intelligent, mischievous and genuinely good, in a way that perhaps only a child can be.
I’ll admit it: I have dreamed of being a model after a Bella Hadid Instagram binge. Or a food stylist (which might be the best job ever) after scrolling through Molly Yeh’s picturesque page. But while I’m not immune to coveting these cool girls’ cool lives, I don’t lust after them the way I do with literary heroines. The lives of female protagonists don’t have to fall under the constaints of modern society, but instead are abound with thrill and melodrama.