“I think the strongest message [of this week] was looking at the American woman in a very universal way, and looking at fashion in a very inclusive way. It was really a celebration of women from all walks of life and from all backgrounds.” – Anna Wintour, to Vogue.com

New York Fashion Week houses the most diversified assortment of shows. While reoccurring trends surfaced, it is nearly impossible to categorize the conglomeration of designers that showcase their work in New York. Each of the 180 shows of this season demonstrated a distinct interpretation of “The New York woman,” and American fashion.

Below are reviews from four shows scattered on opposite ends the spectrum of NYFW.

Carolina Herrera:

Beautiful but bland. Crisp nice silhouettes, but nothing particularly enthusing. Herrera is not a designer that typically aims to push boundaries or break new ground, and that bears no inherent wrongdoing. Instead she strives for predictable excellence. However, this collection fell a little short. It was not bad so much as it was not as good as her usual. That being said, I would not be surprised if the penultimate look, a navy tulle and sequin gown with a Victorian collar, makes an appearance on a red carpet sometime soon.

Proenza Schouler:

With a bang. Proenza Schouler’s Ready to Wear Fall 2017 collection was their final NYFW show, as they have announced they are making the move to Paris. This collection was marked by many different reoccurring style motifs, such as cut-outs, wrap effect and oversized outerwear. And in all, served as an excellent final bow, with each look destined to be worn by New York’s coolest.

Delpozo:

For a ready to wear collection, Delpozo is fairly unwearable. The clothes are immensely architectural, to the point where jackets resemble sculptures. But they are as brilliant as they are batty. Delpozo’s collection was vibrant, fun and meticulously executed. Every silhouette was obviously carefully planned. What’s more, the collection was rich both in terms of ornate fabric and indulgent colors. You’ll have to forgive my alliteration, but frankly, it was festive, fancy and fabulous. A wonderful respite from this season’s prevalent grayscale.

Yeezy:

Definitely better, still not good. I must applaud Kanye what was truly an intelligent decision: toning himself down. Fashion loves a spectacle, but it does not love Kanye. A fact made very clear after editors absolutely lampooned him post Yeezy Season 4 fiasco. This collection was genuinely low key, devoid of Kanye’s fanfare. The relaxed setting allowed for New York’s fashion elite to focus on the clothes, except there was not a whole lot to appreciate. Some looks were strong, particularly those with outwear. However, it seemed like Kanye styled clothes one could find elsewhere as opposed to designing anything novel.