Before there was rock ‘n’ roll or country or hip hop, there were the blues. Blues, the father of soul, were born in the deep south, nursed in the swamplands of Louisiana with a broken piano and cradled along the Mississippi River with a horsehair guitar. From the smokehouses to the BBQ joints to the churches to the cotton fields, there was once a time when blues were everywhere. Documentarian Daniel Cross (“Chairman George”) goes back to the birthplace of blues to take the audience on a tour of the once-glittering world of B.B. King and Jimmy Reed, now a wasteland of neglect fueled only by the few, devoted players dedicated to keeping the blues alive.

Through interviews and impromptu jam sessions with blues masters and key players, now in their late 80s, “I Am The Blues” illustrates the passion, artistry and history behind the art  that lives on. The film is grounded in the present, by following blues legends like Bobby Rush, Barbara Lynn, Lazy Lester, Little Freddie King, Henry Gray and more, while expertly painting a vivid picture of the lively past of the genre solely through stories and first-hand accounts (the only archival footage is shown in the credits). Despite their age, these legends still have their rhythm, but most importantly, they still have their blues.