Film

Saturday, April 19, 2014

'Drive' gives Gosling superhero status

Courtesy of FilmDistrict

By Ankur Sohoni, Daily Arts Writer

“Drive” star Ryan Gosling has a face fit for a superhero — appropriately, the 31-year-old “Notebook” and “Blue Valentine” star has made a career out of playing the good guy. The gentle, quiet approach to his roles has made him a subtle director’s dream and a teenage girl’s sweetheart, combining to create one of the most legitimate, marketable stars of our time. “Drive” is no different, but it takes the actor deeper into the introvert that his pensive, seemingly unfettered visage perpetually guards.

Gosling plays the Driver — our unnamed action-over-talk stunt driver protagonist who doubles as a freelance getaway man for heist jobs. Much like Jason Statham’s turn as Frank in the “Transporter” series, Gosling’s Driver is a structured, my-way-or-the-highway dude who keeps his mouth shut just about all the time. The very first scene of the film shows him drive a getaway Chevy Impala for a pair of thieves, maneuvering through downtown Los Angeles, alternating between a police frequency and a Clippers game radio broadcast.

We soon get to know the Driver outside of his criminal accessory role — he’s a quiet stunt driver who works in a repair shop and is on the verge of becoming a stock car driver for a couple of L.A. businessman/thugs (Albert Brooks, “Finding Nemo” and Ron Perlman, “Hellboy”). He meets his neighbor Irene (Carey Mulligan, “An Education”) and her son Benicio (newcomer Kaden Leos). Irene’s husband Standard (Oscar Isaac, “Robin Hood”) is in prison, and in his stead the Driver quickly assumes a protective role over mother and child.

When Standard is released from jail, our protagonist’s conflict kicks in — Standard can’t escape from his past, particularly his past creditors, and that same past threatens to come after Irene and Benicio. The Driver befriends the father — despite his affections for his wife — and chooses to help him do a job and get the money he needs. And as one might expect, things go wrong. Really, really wrong. Suddenly, the Driver becomes the target, running and driving for his life — and more importantly, for Irene and Benicio’s lives.

The fascinating transformation in “Drive” is the Driver’s shift from indifference to purpose — like Travis Bickle (Robert De Niro) in “Taxi Driver,” the protagonist in “Drive” explodes outwards by digging deep into his own subconscious and doing vengeful things he could only have imagined. The fruit for the viewer is momentary — it’s the look on his face when he shocks even himself — like an innocent child bearing witness to murder, the shock becomes another obscuring layer in his mind. As he opens himself up to us by releasing his violent tension, he simultaneously closes himself off to the film’s other characters, to whom he is suddenly a completely different person.

Director Nicolas Winding Refn (the “Pusher” trilogy) and writer Hossein Amini (“Shanghai”) don’t fully develop the film’s backstory and characters — and purposefully so. In a film where each supporting character’s past is his or her handicap and downfall, a protagonist with no more than a face and a job becomes the one-eyed man, king of the film’s conflict and the only person with the freedom to be the good guy.

It’s a violent, bloody film with classic touches dating decades back, despite its contemporary setting.