Each week, Daily Arts writers evaluate the latest movies, shows, books, music, games and more. They watch, read and listen for the next standout artistic trends and then write about what that means for us in the art world and beyond. Come Friday, we highlight what Daily Arts loved most — here’s what will keep you captivated this weekend. — Zoe Phillips and Elise Godfryd, Managing Arts Editors 

Listen to: Animal Collective: Yes, I know. An artist retrospective on Animal Collective? How original. However, when people talk about the band’s absurd run of albums in the 2000s, they tend to leave out some crucial records in their early years as well as smaller side projects. Hopefully, this will help shine some light on some of the more under-appreciated records. Regardless, the level of impact the band has had on both its contemporaries within the indie genre, as well as what the genre would become because of their influence, is undeniable. Read more from Drew Gadbois here

Watch: Daily Arts’s favorite Disney Shorts: After staring at my computer screen for hours, watching lectures and doing homework, you may think the last thing I would want to do is stare at it for any longer. However, Disney’s animated shorts are a breath of fresh air after a tedious workday. Every short seems to bring to life a process, function or emotion of everyday life, often those that I would otherwise struggle to conceptualize. These next few shorts touch on internal struggle, teenage angst and friendship in clever ways, making for an emotional journey full of relatable animated creatures. Read more from Laura Millar here

Read: “The Paris Dressmaker” by Kristy Cambron: “The Paris Dressmaker” is an enthralling tale of bravery flourishing in the face of an indomitable enemy and hope persisting through trauma and tragedy. Based on true stories of women’s resistance, it is a testament to what people can accomplish even when (and sometimes because) they are underestimated and overlooked. It is also a warning of what can happen when indifference and prejudice are left unchecked by those who know better, but do not think it necessary to intervene. Read more from Brenna Goss here

Listen to: Easha: Every day, she writes songs. Whether these come from a quick flash of inspiration, or her building it from the melody up, she works to keep at it. “Creativity … people say it’s like a muscle,” she told me, one of those classic truisms that seem trite — except for the fact that it’s an accurate and difficult rule to keep. People who stick to a creative regimen deserve a little cliché now and then.

Easha has found an audience for her creativity largely through social media. Her sound is dreamy and nostalgic, starting out mostly on guitar but taking on a bedroom pop sound in production. Her top song, “Dying Is a Beautiful Thing to Do,” has over a million hits, after gaining popularity on TikTok and Instagram. Read more from Rosa Sofia Kaminski here.

Watch: “Kung Fu” on The CW: If the pilot is any indication, the series has a nuanced take on the battle between tradition and carving one’s own path, and we can see parallels of this conflict in Nicky’s story. She confronts the constricting expectations of her parents and their traditional ideals of success with the teachings of the Shaolin Monastery, which promote personal autonomy. Read more from Sarah Rahman here