SUBSCRIBE AND LISTEN TO FULL EPISODE BELOW

As we gear up for what is sure to be an equally exciting and infuriating awards show season, we also have to prepare ourselves for the political performances that are often inherent to these events. During acceptance speeches, celebrities often use their allotted time to advocate for a social or political issue that they’re passionate about. The legitimacy of these speeches, however, is called into question by the fact that they’re being made at an opulent, self-indulgent event. In this episode of Arts, Interrupted, the gang dove into the intricacies of this dilemma. Should celebrities be vocal about their politics? What are the implications of celebrity activism?

Don't forget to subscribe to our podcast on Apple, Spotify, Google Play, or wherever you get your podcasts.

It’s hard to answer this question without taking a look at some examples of A-Listers that have had noticeable political involvement (or lack thereof). From Kanye West to Dolly Parton, there is a wide range of philosophies about how the elite should operate on a political level, all of which have varying results. The gang also discusses the idea of why it might not actually be wise to look toward celebrities in this context at all.

This episode was brought to you by executive producer Sam Small, content creators Emily Ohl, Max Rosenzweig, and Will Pederson, and audio producer Spencer Harris. If you’re interested in working for the podcast section, feel free to apply at tinyurl.com/podcast2020 by January 24th.

Songs in order of appearance: 

Wild Time by Weyes Blood (Rough Trade Session)
Tokyo by Julien Baker
Junior by Corridor