SUBSCRIBE AND LISTEN TO FULL EPISODE BELOW

The teen drama industry has been around for as long as teens could take on the role of being celebrities. Rather it’s a heart-breaking love triangle or a tragic cheating scandal, these young relationships have caught the eye of viewers for generations. On the first episode of season 7 of Arts Interrupted, we’ve gathered you here to talk about the first notable teen drama of the 2020s, the Olivia Rodrigo, Joshua Bassett, and Sabrina Carpenter musical love triangle and what it is about these sort of teen drama moments that engage people who have long outgrown their Disney phases.

To start, Senior Editor Max brought everyone up to speed. It’s said that co-stars Olivia Rodrigo and Joshua Bassett of the Disney+ show High School Musical: The Musical The Series had been in a relationship together similar to their on-screen performance until August 2020 when the two parted ways. Rumor has it that Olivia Rodrigo’s brand new, chart-topping single “Drivers License” is the key to the couple’s story. Setting the Spotify record for “most streams in a day for a non-holiday song” with about 17 million streams on January 12, Drivers License has made a mark on this new decade. In the track, Olivia mentions how her past significant other, Joshua, is now with “blonde girl” who is said to be Sabrina Carpenter fellow Disney star. 

Before Max brought everyone up to date on the drama of it all, the crew sat down (Over Zoom) to reminisce on the teen drama of the day’s past. Fresh executive producer Emily spoke about the High School Musical Zac and Vanessa while the group discussed how they used to think that all onscreen couples were together in real life. 

Don't forget to subscribe to our podcast on Apple, Spotify, Google Play, or wherever you get your podcasts

The crew kicked off a roundtable discussion with the nature of celebrities: is it essentially celebrities’ jobs to remain in the spotlight and produce drama about themselves? The industrial side of the love triangle is brought up as the art’s financial advisor senior editor Avin Katyal theorizes on what record labels had to do with the teen drama. Then, the discussion of what makes “Drivers License” different from other chart-topping singles comes to light as the crew dissects the musical components of the track and the role social media had in its dominance. 

Ultimately, the art’s team agrees that this drama has caught everyone’s attention in a way we’ve never seen before. It can be said that the power of social media has altered social norms and in turn, increasing drama. Yet, in the end, it is acknowledged the teen drama industry indeed having a moment again and we’re all coming along for the ride.

This episode was brought to you by executive producer Emily Ohl, senior editors Max Rosenzweig and Avin Katyal, content producer Max Schabel, audio producers Ben Schrier, Sam DuBose, and Will Pederson, and audio engineer Spencer Harris. Thanks for listening, till next time!