SUBSCRIBE AND LISTEN TO FULL EPISODE BELOW

Let’s face it. Streaming services are the new normal for viewing entertainment. The new golden age of television does not include television at all. In this episode of Arts, Interrupted, we explore the complexities of modern streaming and try to figure out what Big Stream has made of us all.

First, the Arts crew took a look into Netflix’s legacy and current influence on modern television. Prior to the reigning of streaming services, warm comfort television like “Gilmore Girls” clocking in at about 22 episodes a season were present throughout tv programming. Yet, now, due to Netflix’s introduction of the 10 episode plot structure, modern streaming shows have been cut short and forced to concentrate their content not giving time for audiences to breathe. 

Then, new hires Sam and Juan dive deep into the current landscapes of both film and television. Sam. 

Briefing us on the overflood of tv content, Sam showed us that the only shows that are greenlit on tv networks appear to be the ones that appeal to mass amounts of viewers. On the other hand, streaming services offer titles that cover hyper-specific genres highlighting the fact that these services have no limit on the amount of content they can show at one time.  

Juan opens up our conversation on the future of film in streaming services by introducing the recent oversimplification and unoriginality of the film industry. The industry appears to be dominated by superhero and sci-fi movies that are constantly remakes of each other. One could argue that the revolutionary pioneering writers of entertainment have moved from film to streaming where the possibilities are endless.

Don't forget to subscribe to our podcast on Apple, Spotify, Google Play, or wherever you get your podcasts

Once the crew finished our little tour of the current intricacies of the film and television industry, the team went at it over zoom in a round table to talk about the recent debacle of the experimental streaming service Quibi. The team ultimately questions what short-paced programming means for the future of streaming and the intention of the market. We then finish off this episode’s discussion with the classic question: is it here to stay?

This episode was brought to you by executive producer Emily Ohl, senior editor Max Rosenzweig, content producer and new hires Sam Goldenberg and Juan Gonzalez, audio producers Ben Schrier, Sam DuBose, and Will Pederson, and audio engineer Spencer Harris. Thanks for listening, Stay Golden!