Best Main Street Area Bar: Mash

Rita Morris/Daily

By Danielle Raykhinshteyn, Daily Arts Writer

Even if you don’t like whiskey, you’ll like Mash. The whiskey bar is located on Washington St. between 4th and 5th, underneath the Blue Tractor restaurant.

Its basement atmosphere is what makes Mash so special. The bar is dim, but not dark; the wood detailing gives it a rustic feel and the walls are covered in chalkboard paint. What’s more fun than drawing on walls? Especially when you’re drunk, not much.

The double-room setup of Mash makes it the perfect bar for almost anyone: You can sit at a table talking to friends, you can listen to the live bands they have almost every night or you can stay by the bar and the standing tables, dancing or just lollygagging in general merriment.

The drinks themselves are expertly crafted. Of course, the whiskey drinks taste like whiskey, but I repeat, even if you don’t like whiskey, you’ll like Mash. Maybe it’s the for-everyone atmosphere, but with each sip, whatever you’re drinking seems to become slightly more delicious, even if you weren’t sure about it at first.

For something different, the Mitten, a beer cocktail made with bourbon and cherry juice, is a delicious and interesting drink, and basically all of Mash’s cocktails are something unique, such as the Cool Cucumber, made from riesling, citrus vodka and cucumber puree.

Honestly, the chalkboard walls alone make Mash worth the trip, and the live music and delectable drinks are just the cherry (juice) on top.