Episode Review: Long live 'Susan 313'

20th Century Fox

By Kayla Upadhyaya, Managing Arts Editor

It’s probably a bit sadistic of me to write an episode review of “Susan 313.” After all, the Sarah Silverman-starring sitcom never made it to series. NBC pulled the plug before the start of the 2012-2013 TV season, passing it over for projects like “Animal Practice,” “Go On,” “Guys with Kids” and “The New Normal” … you know, those comedies that never made it past the one-season mark.

A

Pilot
20th Century Fox

The unaired pilot — posted in its entirety on Jash.com earlier this week — has its missteps, but the jokes land almost every time, the script soaked in Silverman’s cynical comedic voice. It’s a simple premise, but “Susan” ’s bitingly sardonic meta-mocking of itself makes the failed project innovative. Too innovative, it would seem, for NBC’s increasingly trite slate of by-the-numbers comedies.

Though not quite as niche as “The Sarah Silverman Program,” “Susan” stands out with its feisty humor, doled out not only by its leading lady but also through endearing performances from supporting stars Tig Notaro, June Diane Raphael and Harris Wittels.

Yes, if “Susan” had lived, we could have watched comedy goddesses Tig, June and Sarah hang out every week. Add this to the reasons we’re mad at the Peacock this week.