A fan reacts to J.K. Rowling's return to the wizarding world of 'Harry Potter'

Warner Bros

By Rebecca Godwin, Daily Arts Writer

I heard the news in three parts. Part One: J.K. Rowling was going to be writing a screenplay for Warner Brothers. My excitement level was fairly low, as I hadn’t been all that thrilled with Rowling’s work since “Harry Potter.”

Part Two: The screenplay was just the first in a series she would be writing for the film studio. My excitement level increased a bit as I thought of all the possibilities for the films.

Part Three: The series of movies would neither be sequels nor prequels to the “Harry Potter” stories, but would still take place in the magical world she had created. The first film of the series will focus on Newt Scamander, the author of Hogwarts textbook “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.”

At this point, the HP fan-girl inside of me was having a disco party intermixed with minor bouts of cardiac arrest. The day I had been waiting for since the last HP movie premiered was imminent and I had never been happier.

Once I had calmed myself a bit and my head no longer felt bogged down by a confundus charm, I began to think over the news. Was I ready to re-enter this magical world? I had started reading the HP books in the second grade and, for almost 12 years, they had been a place where I could escape and dream and imagine. It had taken me a while to accept the fact that the series was done, to accept the fact that my childhood was over. Would I be able to go on this crazy broomstick ride again?

The answer is yes. Always. But while I may be ready to dive back into the wizarding world, some are concerned Rowling is only using these screenplays to return to her HP days of glory, especially after her first non-magic related novel was considered such a huge disappointment. My answer to such allegations: perhaps. But does it really matter?

When HP ended, the world over screamed, cried and begged for more stories. A sequel about the Trio’s children or a prequel about the Marauders’ time at Hogwarts — the fans were willing to take anything so long as the magic didn’t end. But Rowling said no. She said she had plenty of stories she could write, plenty of background and history on all the characters that the fans never knew (some of which has been slowly released in the last couple years on Rowling’s Pottermore site, which offers tons of new, exclusive information), but she wanted to stop. Now she’s back and people are questioning her motives? They need to sort out their priorities.

I, for one, completely trust Rowling and her decisions. She never once, throughout the whole HP series, disappointed me (though she did try her best to make me sob with each character she killed off — some of whom I still refuse to believe are actually dead and not simply kicking ass in an intense game of hide-and-seek).

The world she created was so extensive that there are hundreds of opportunities for new stories that can be completely unrelated to Harry Potter and his friends, but which are equally as enchanting and enthralling. As a writer, I do not believe that Rowling would ever try to disrupt the canon or exploit her original creation. She is simply branching out from the very sturdy trunk she’s already grown.

As for the movie, I hope that a couple familiar faces pop up. At least Dumbledore, who seemed practically 1,000 years old when he died (actually, he was 114, in case you were wondering), could make a brief appearance.

As for what else I want in the movie, well, I really couldn’t care less because I’m just happy the world that I love so much is coming back. But I guess we all should have seen this coming, as the things we lose have a way of “coming back to us” in the end, if not always in the way we expected.