Screeching guitar tinged with eloquent desperation and a voice to match – that’s the essence of Jack White’s career. Listening to the guitar maestro do his thing – whether with The Raconteurs, The White Stripes or his solo work – I rarely give a shit what he sings about. I mean seriously, who/what the fuck is an “Icky Thump?” I don’t have the answer, but I do know it sounds awesome when White sings about it.

“High Ball Stepper”

B
Jack White
Third Man Records

Strangely enough, Jack White’s lead single, “High Ball Stepper,” off his new solo album Lazaretto, is an instrumental track. Lazaretto is White’s second solo album and his first since 2012’s Blunderbuss. When I first listened to “High Ball Stepper,” I was expecting something innovative in comparison to his previous work. However, “High Ball Stepper” is less of an instrumental revelation than it is a standard Jack White song – just without his voice. The track is not a failure – it’s always a pleasure to hear him shred – but it doesn’t offer many surprises. Without his vocals, the track is rendered one dimensional and repetitive. “High Ball Stepper” without White’s signature vocal touch is like Burt without Ernie, college without ramen, Bill without Monica – it just isn’t right.

“High Ball Stepper” leaves the listener wondering what White is going for on Lazaretto. Is Jack trying to reinvent himself? Will he attempt more surprises – and if so, will they be more successful than his first try? And most importantly, is there a love stain on the ceiling of the oval office?