Best Ice Cream/Dessert: Ben & Jerry's and Cupcake Station

KATHERINE PEKALA/Daily

BY DAILY ARTS STAFF

Everyone loves ice cream. Therefore, everyone loves Ben and Jerry’s. It’s that simple.

Located on South State Street, right next to its nemesis, Stucchi’s, it’s not hard to see why the people of Ann Arbor have chosen B&J’s as their favorite. The ice cream, waffle cones and smoothies blend to create an irresistible aroma that captivates your senses as you glide to the counter, where a wide selection of frozen dessert flavors await. The chocolaty sweet kick to the nose as helpful employees scoop out phish food from behind the counter is enough to remind you that you’ve come to the right place, and you won’t be disappointed.

But the best part of eating ice cream at Ben and Jerry’s is the nostalgia. It’s just like when you were a kid — after begging your parents for some ice cream and promising you’ll brush your teeth, you enter a place where the walls are as colorful as the flavors, everyone’s happy and the ice cream is just so damn good. Sure, when you walk in now, your parents aren’t with you and you’re never going to brush your teeth, but what remains are the good times you spent with the people you like and the ice cream you love.

—MAYANK MATHUR

Blissful. That’s the only way to describe these cupcakes: blissful and all of its associated synonyms including, but not limited to, heavenly, idyllic and beatific. The biggest problem, nay the only problem, with Cupcake Station is there’s just too much tastiness. How is one expected to choose between the marshmallow-filled “Cookies and Cream,” the nationally recognized “Bump-A-Licious” and the classic chocolate-frosted “Original,” not to mention the 21 other flavors baked fresh every day?

As far as location, Cupcake Station is a tad out of the way, located on the corner of E. Liberty and Main. You have to really want that cupcake, but trust me you want that cupcake. These cupcake artists perfected the all-important frosting-to-cake ratio. There’s so much flavor, so much sweetness, so much sheer goodness baked into every cake. War would cease to exist if there was a Cupcake Station in every country. These guys even sponsor charities with free cupcakes; are they saints or are they temptation itself? I don’t know, and I don’t care — just take my money already.

—JAMIE BIRCOLL

Here is the Best of Ann Arbor 2013 List