With its new show “Bitten,” Syfy has joined the ranks of numerous other networks that are trying to cash in on society’s obsession with vampires and werewolves. While perhaps a bit behind the times (MTV’s “Teen Wolf” is already on season four), Syfy’s attempt might not be completely futile. Based on the book series by Kelley Armstrong, “Women of the Otherworld,” “Bitten” has a lot more to prove before it can hold up against previously produced series.

Bitten

B-
Syfy

Blonde and conventionally attractive, “Bitten” ’s leading lady, Elena (Laura Vandervoort, “Smallville”), is a bore. A photographer by day, she is also — wait for it — a werewolf. Her character is not inherently interesting or edgy, and in the premiere, nothing about her is endearing.

In a story told a thousand times, Elena desperately denies who she is and tries to force herself into a different role: a werewolf trying to fit into lamb’s clothing. And in doing so, she becomes an uninteresting piece of arm candy who just wishes to be the perfect girlfriend and please a boyfriend’s demanding mother. The pilot does not provide any backstory about how she became a werewolf, or detail the significance of her being (apparently) the only girl in the pack. Since the character lacks any originality or drive, there is no pressing desire to find out.

Sure, sex sells, but the use of sexuality in “Bitten” comes off as blasé. The entire cast is good looking. And very white. In the entire first episode, there is only one person of color, Logan (Michael Xavier, “In Return”). Syfy is already trying to capitalize on an overused topic — they could at least strive to make things more interesting through the portrayal of a diverse cast. How is no one asking about ugly werewolves? Do the creators supposedly only prey on the beautiful and boring?

Let’s take a moment and discuss the transformation sequences in this show. For a network that apparently focuses on science fiction programming, viewers would probably expect a lot more from Syfy’s production teams. But “Bitten” utilizes transformation sequences that look like they may have been borrowed straight from “The Twilight Zone.” The first time Elena transforms into a werewolf, her ridiculous appearance evokes feelings of utter disbelief. Is Syfy serious, or is this secretly a parody? The show could benefit from the use of tasteful cutting to achieve the goal of changing a human into werewolf without showing the entire process to the audience.

All critiques aside, there are worse shows on television. Elena’s boyfriend, Philip, played by Paul Greene (“Somewhere”), is cute enough to stay on the show for a few minutes while channel flipping. The dialogue, while vapid, is not unbearable and there are some pretty steamy sex scenes considering the show airs on cable. Producers could take a note from Joss Whedon’s “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” and make Elena more inspired. “Buffy” proved that there is a significant audience for a female superhuman protagonist, and that a teenage science fiction series can be taken seriously — it just requires some skillful execution.