If you’re looking for a study break this Friday (or feel weird showing up at Charley’s too early), the University of Michigan Museum of Art has you covered.

This Friday marks the second Friday After 5 event, where students and community members can enjoy all of the UMMA’s exhibitions and general splendor for three extra hours, free of charge.

After receiving feedback from community members that said the normal business hours of the museum were inconvenient, UMMA paired with students in the Ross School of Business to think of a creative solution. Comerica Bank sponsors the events, which is the only way the UMMA could afford to keep its doors open the extra three hours, according to Sydney Hawkins, UMMA’s communications marketing manager.

Hawkins said the four scheduled After 5 events are trials for the museum. After the July 18 event, UMMA personnel will evaluate the success of the series and determine if and how it can continue them.

Hawkins said the first Fridays After 5, which was held in November, was popular, leading her to believe this Friday’s event will also be successful. She also made the distinction between this event and the UMMA After Hours events, which have free food and a live band for students.

While Friday’s event will not have giveaways and entertainment, Hawkins said students are still in for a treat.

“It’s definitely a good opportunity for students who are busy during the day,” she said of the event. “I think coming at night adds a little bit of a different vibe than you get during the day.”

Five Reasons to Attend Fridays After 5

1.Fridays After 5 is FREE, and the only time UMMA galleries are open past 5 p.m. this month.
2. You can view works by Picasso, Monet, Warhol and Rodin.
3.There are currently five special exhibitions on view, including the spectacular Doris Duke’s Shangri La: Architecture, Landscape and Islamic Art. You’ll be able to get a dose of sunshine and beaches through the brilliant light boxed photos throughout.
4. Impress your date with a dose of culture!
5. The UMMA Store will be open late as well.

Sydney Hawkins, UMMA’s Communications Marketing Manager