University officials met Tuesday with local residents regarding the proposed 725-car parking structure between Maiden Lane and Wall Street across from the Kellogg Eye Center.

They announced that the construction of the structure will begin in November and be completed in January 2014. The structure is planned to be used by employees of the University of Michigan Health System.

At the community consultation, University associate architect Douglas Koepsell presented the schematic drawing of the structure that was recently approved by the University Board of Regents.

According to Koepsell, on the west side of structure, a transit center has been proposed for buses that will transport UMHS employees to work. On the east side of the structure, a landscape has been proposed.

“We used an architectural style that is representative of the buildings in this area,” Koepsell said during his presentation.

Koepsell added that medallions of cattails will be placed at the top of the structure and arched openings will appear at the bottom.

Jim Kosteva, the University’s director of community relations, said in an interview after the meeting that it allowed the University to hear the reflections of local residents regarding the color, texture and character of the proposed design.

“There is some positive feedback regarding the designs,” Kosteva said. “But there is also some tension and disagreements on the part of some of the area residents.”

Kosteva added that the community consultations are conducted voluntarily by the University but are valuable for incorporating community concerns into the design and utilization of University facilities.

Timothy Mortimer, president of the Riverside Park Place Condominium Association, said visual appearance, air pollution and traffic congestion are all concerns about the structure from the community.

“We don’t want an exterior brick color that will clash with the tannish-brown color of our own building,” Mortimer said.

Mortimer added that the University should be maximizing off-site parking and provide shuttle services to UMHS instead.

“There are a number of places on Glazier Way for parking structures,” he said.

Mortimer added that, on a hypothetical grading system, the University deserves an F for making the fundamental decision to construct a parking structure in Ann Arbor’s river valley and a B- for the current design of the structure.

Brenda Giers, a Wall Street resident, expressed concerns about the construction traffic and noise in the upcoming months, and said she was more than happy to do so.

“This is the second meeting I’ve been to with the University regarding this issue, and I was really able to voice my concerns at the meeting,” Giers said.

Correction Appended: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated the number of spots in the proposed parking structure.