Visual Statement: A ladylike tradition

By Marlene Lacasse, Assistant Photo Editor

Since opening its doors to female students in 1915, Martha Cook Residence Hall offers an alternative glimpse into what college living can be. Only steps away from the Diag on South University Avenue, residents claim one of the best locations on campus nestled right between the Law Quadrangle, School of Education and the Business School. This all-women hall does come with some rules, though. Males are restricted from residential floors at certain times and any guest requires a resident escort on their visit.

Nursing junior Lexi Garbus and LSA sophomore Anne Fetherston guided my tour through the building, its history present at every corner, from its intricate ceilings to its deep wooden accents, picture windows and original furniture. Garbus and Fetherson both expressed appreciation for their spacious single bedrooms and raved about the size of their closets.

But living in what feels like a castle isn’t all that makes the Martha Cook experience special. It’s also the sense of sisterhood that the fellow “Cookies” share. Garbus explained how the constant interaction of passing each other in halls, studying together, sitting with new people at meals and plenty of resident events make it easy to get to know everyone. And then there’s the traditional Friday afternoon tea, which offers an opportunity for residents and guests to socialize over drinks and snacks.

“Within three months of living here, you’ll know who everyone is,” Fetherston said.

By bringing its residents together in a beautiful and historical place, Friday afternoon tea is quite a poetic way to embody the ideals that make Martha Cook unique.