The Senate Advisory Committee on University Affairs met yesterday to discuss resolutions regarding the unionization of graduate student research assistants and to respond to the delay of the University of Michigan Health System in reporting a resident’s possession of child pornography to the University’s Department of Public Safety.

SACUA discussed and voted on a statement that addressed issues of free speech, intimidation and retaliation between students and faculty, particularly in regards to the ongoing GSRA unionization case. The resolution comes after GSRA Jennifer Dibbern alleged she was fired for being an active member of the Graduate Employees Organization.

SACUA member Finn Larsen presented the statement, and said there was a necessity to emphasize that the committee does not support intimidation by students or faculty.

“I feel we should be neutral,” Larsen said. “We should endorse the principle that, of course, we should not have intimidation.”

A paragraph was initially included in the document that suggests that the community views Dibbern’s accusations against her adviser, Engineering prof. Rachel Goldman, as false.

“(The committee’s) support of free and open debate comes in light of widespread false accusations of intimidation directed at the faculty at large, and one faculty member in particular,” the paragraph stated. “We call on such innuendo and defamation to end, in order that a dignified exchange of ideas be restored.”

Members of the committee said they felt this paragraph was inflammatory and moved to strike it. The committee also unanimously voted to add a sentence to the end of the revised statement which reads: “We also call on all parties to put forward only claims that can be documented with reasonable evidence, in order that a dignified exchange of ideas be encouraged.”

Committee members discuss UMHS investigation findings

SACUA chair Kate Barald also presented a statement responding to the University’s recently released internal investigation of the alleged child pornography possession by former medical resident Stephen Jenson at UMHS.

“It is expected by Senate Assembly that the University will use this incident to carefully consider the recommendations of the Senate Assembly Resolution 122311-2 on reporting criminal activity in the most expeditious and effective manner,” the statement read.

The statement refers to a previous resolution, passed by electronic vote on Dec. 23, 2011, which encouraged the University to develop more efficient criminal reporting methods. The committee unanimously voted in favor of affirming the resolution.

After reading the statement aloud, Barald said increased communication and effective protocol in reporting incidences are essential in cases regarding UMHS.

“(The statement is) in the spirit of trying to encourage education, information about reporting lines that every single person in the University to have in their cognizance as they begin to face such issues.”

Duderstadt presents on the University’s bicentennial

Former President James Duderstadt opened the meeting to present plans for the University bicentennial in 2017. SACUA invited Duderstadt to discuss the funding challenges of state research universities, as well as elaborate on the importance of faculty in celebrating the 200-year anniversary of the University’s founding.

“We are not a hospital, we are not a hotel, we are not a professional football franchise,” Duderstadt said. “We are one of the great learning institutions of the world, and this reality should dominate any event such as a bicentennial.”