Ann Arbor District Library will close all locations for at least two weeks beginning Sunday due to positive COVID-19 tests among library staff and family, library director Josie Parker announced in a blog post on Saturday. 

AADL, which had been offering books and other items at scheduled pickup times, is postponing pickups for two weeks with the option to reschedule after the reopening. 

Outdoor drop boxes will remain open, but no materials will be checked in while the library remains closed and no overdue fees will be charged. There is no need to return materials while the libraries remain closed.

Community members can still request materials, but no requests will be filled until after the library reopens.

“Don’t worry if you picked up items from the library recently; there was no exposure risk related to contactless pickups,” Parker wrote.

AADL’s closure comes as Washtenaw County and the state of Michigan experience a record-breaking surge in COVID-19 cases. Hospitalizations at Michigan Medicine are also rising.

At a press conference Sunday night, Dr. Joneigh Khaldun, chief medical executive and chief deputy for health at MDHHS, said Michigan had a total of 251,813 confirmed cases as of yesterday and had seen 7,994 deaths due to COVID-19. In the last week, 44,019 more people tested positive for COVID-19 and 416 have died. 

AADL isn’t the only place impacted by the rising number of COVID-19 cases. 

An order from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Service will take effect Wednesday, closing indoor dining at bars and restaurants and shutting down casinos and movie theaters. Colleges and high schools will halt in-person learning and pivot to a remote format, while K-8 schools can remain open if strict precautions are in place. The restrictions will last for three weeks. 

In the post, Parker said the library staff regretted having to suspend operations and added that they were excited to resume services as soon as it was safe to do so.

“Thank you for your patience, and we’re sorry to suspend services,” Parker wrote. “We look forward to reopening as soon as we safely can.”

Daily Staff Reporter Calder Lewis can be reached at calderll@umich.edu.

The COVID-19 pandemic has thrown challenges at all of us — including The Michigan Daily — but that hasn’t stopped our staff. We’re committed to reporting on the issues that matter most to the community where we live, learn and work. Your donations keep our journalism free and independent. You can support our work here.

For a weekly roundup of the best stories from The Michigan Daily, sign up for our newsletter here.