Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Women’s lacrosse falters on the road against Jacksonville

Luna Anna Archey/Daily

By Mitch Beckman, For the Daily

The Michigan women’s lacrosse team’s first-ever win evaded them yet again, as the Michigan women’s lacrosse team (0-3) fell to Jacksonville, 15-7, Wednesday night.

On a chilly, humid day in north Florida, the Wolverines failed to keep pace offensively with the Dolphins. Jacksonville (3-3) ran away with the game early in the second half, tallying six straight goals and outscoring Michigan 9-3 in the second half.

The young Michigan program, comprised solely of freshman, is still looking to take positives away from the loss.

“At the end of the game, I was just proud we continued to fight,” Michigan coach Jennifer Ulehla said. “They would never give up. That was something we as coaches look for and something we can draw from.”

Michigan played, for the most part, solid defensively despite allowing 15 goals, but it spent too much on the field to get a break. The Dolphins dominated time of possession thanks to their success at the face off dot, winning 15 of 23.

“It’s gonna come down to the draw control— at this point we’re struggling with that,” said Ulehla. “They scored six goals in a row and that was basically all because they were able to get possession off the draw.”

Freshman goalie Allison Silber stood tall in net, making a season-high 13 saves for the Wolverines, including a highlight reel 1-on-1 save in the first half.

“My defense played really well, and that makes my job a lot easier,” said Sibler. “We just need to take care of the ball. We’re getting better at our transitions each game, once defense and attack are on the same page we’ll be set.”

Turnovers plagued Michigan, particularly while clearing. An aggressive Jacksonville defense brought numerous double teams and played a relentless zone ride — a look where the defense attempts to keep the ball from crossing with pressure from attackers. The strategy worked well for the Dolphins, who created 23 turnovers by forcing long clearing passes, and allowed Michigan to go only 10-18 on clears.

Jess Angerman, who scored twice and had two assists to add to her team-leading total of 11 points, once again paced Michigan’s offense. Freshman Allison Schueler also netted a pair, giving her four goals in the first three games.

“They threw a lot of high pressure at us,” said Angerman. “We’ve practiced for this and knew we would see it, but today was one of those days we had some trouble connecting as an offense.
“At this level, we’ll see a lot more of that high pressure defense, but every day we’re getting more and more comfortable with it.”

|