Monday, November 24, 2014

Women’s lacrosse drops game to No. 10 Penn State in search of first-ever victory

Allison Farrand/Daily

By Minh Doan, Daily Sports Writer

After playing with a sense of passion and heart unseen by Michigan coach Jennifer Uhlela this season in a second-half comeback against Winthrop that came just short three days ago, the Michigan women’s lacrosse team traveled to State College, Pa., hoping to turn that effort into results at No. 10 Penn State.

And for a while, that was evident.

“More than ever, we came out stronger in the first half than we ever have,” said freshman attacker Anna Schueler.

Added Ulehla: “From a mentality standpoint, we were in the game.”

After watching the Nittany Lions run out of the gate with a 2-0 lead early in the first half, the Wolverines came back when two freshmen — attacker Tess Korten and midfielder Madeline Dion — scored to cut the lead to 3-2 eight minutes into the game.

But that was the closest Michigan would get to earning its first-ever win, as it lost convincingly, 20-8.

Penn State went on to score eight of the next nine goals, all in the first half, to virtually put any comeback out of reach. The Nittany Lions’ leading scorer, attacker Madison Cyr, scored all three of her goals in the frame.

Michigan went into the locker room at halftime down, 14-5.

The second half was more of the same for Penn State as it had its way on the offensive side of the ball.

Nittany Lion midfielder Tatum Coffey and attacker Jess Loizeaux each notched two goals as Penn State went on six-goal and three-goal runs in between two Michigan goals to end the game.

Just like the rest of their season, the Wolverines’ Achilles’ heel was turnovers. The offense committed 24 turnovers, many of which led to Penn State counterattacks.

“We need to be more confident and more composed under pressure to make the right decision,” Ulehla said. “We would get a great save or would cause a turnover and then we would struggle to clear the ball. Especially against a team like Penn State, who put a lot of pressure on us, we struggled to get the ball to our offense.”

Schueler was one of the few bright spots on the day, tallying three goals and an assist.

“Our offense was moving more than usual,” Schueler said. “In this game, we were getting through for each other and creating isolations. I was lucky to put the ball in the back of the net.”

Through all of the problems of the inaugural season, the Wolverines have kept a positive manner in every single game. However, Michigan has yet to put together a complete performance, and when it does, it will be in position to win its first-ever game.

|