Monday, September 1, 2014

Wolverines struggle against talent-laden field at Tar Heel Invitational

BY DYLAN MCKENZIE
Daily Sports Writer

Coming off a win in the Wolverine Invitational in Ann Arbor, the Michigan women’s golf team looked to keep its momentum rolling at the Tar Heel Invitational in Chapel Hill, N.C.

The three-day tournament featured top-notch competition, including 12 top-50 teams, including hosts North Carolina — one of the nation’s top teams. The Wolverines fell behind early in the invitational and eventually ran out of gas.

Michigan finished last in the tournament, in 18th place, with a three round total of 947. Sophomore Lauren Grogan was the highest Michigan scorer with a three-round total of 233, placing her tied for 63rd place.

Grogan was followed closely by sophomore Linda Luo’s three-round total of 234. The other three Michigan starters were sophomore Devon Compton placing 81st with a 237, junior Yugene Lee with a 248 and junior Alyssa Shimel with a 258.

While it was a rough three days, there were some positives for Michigan to take away from the tournament.

During the first round on Friday, Grogan and Compton were able to put together solid rounds of 78 and 79, respectively. Though Michigan was eight shots back of the 17th-place team at the end of the day, none of the starters appeared to have played a particularly bad round, which is a credit to the level of competition at the invitational.

In Saturday’s second round, the Wolverines collectively played their best round of the season. Lee led the day with a season-best 74, but all five starters had their best round of the tournament and together shot a 304 — 15 shots better than Friday’s round.

The huge turnaround put Michigan in 17th place at the end of the second round and in a position to make a move up the leaderboard during Sunday’s round.

But the Wolverines weren’t able to sustain their Saturday success as the difficult course finally took its toll on the team during the third round. The 324 shot on Sunday was a 20-shot turnaround in the wrong way that put Michigan back in 18th place.

The tournament served as a good barometer to evaluate how the Wolverines match up against top-flight competition. While the finish was less than the team desired, Michigan can take solace in the fact that it put together a very strong second round. If the Wolverines can put together rounds like that more consistently, they will be able to compete more closely against top teams.

Grogan was again able to put together a consistent three-rounds, with two 78s and a 77. Grogan has been a top performer for the Wolverines because of her consistency between rounds. Just a sophomore, Grogan figures to improve as she gains more experience.

Michigan concludes its fall season in Kiawah Island, S.C. at the Edwin Watts/Palmetto Intercollegiate Oct. 28 and 29.

|