In most conferences, a ninth-place finish is not something to be proud of. But despite losing to Minnesota and Wisconsin over the weekend, a ninth-place record in the Big Ten still puts the Michigan volleyball team in the hunt for an NCAA Tournament bid.

With eight teams ranked nationally entering the weekend, the Big Ten packs a powerful punch, and Michigan (7-9 Big Ten, 17-10 overall) knows that it will face a tough challenge every time it steps out onto the floor. This weekend, the Wolverines received their usual dose of fierce competition in the form of No. 11 Minnesota and No. 15 Wisconsin.

Despite a pair of hard-fought matches, Minnesota won in straight sets and Wisconsin fought to a five set victory.

In the first match of the season’s final homestand on Friday night, the Golden Gophers started strong and looked to be in control early in the match. A kill from middle blocker Hannah Tapp gave Minnesota an 8-7 lead, one it did not relinquish for the remainder of the set. Another Tapp kill capped a six-point run to put the Gophers ahead, 19-14, and they comfortably closed out the set.

Minnesota wasted no time taking an early lead in the second set. Runs of four and six points propelled the Gophers to a 19-12 advantage, but this time the Wolverines would not go down without a fight. Countering with a six-point run of their own — sparked by three kills from senior outside hitter Lexi Erwin — Michigan pulled to within a point, 19-18.

With the score 20-18 and hopes of a second-set comeback still in reach, freshman middle blocker Abby Cole went up for a block attempt and came down hard on her left leg. A hushed silence fell over the crowded gym as Cole slapped the court in pain, clutching her leg. After a few tense moments, the freshman was slowly escorted out of the gym by trainers.

To the relief of coach Mark Rosen, Cole returned later in the match sporting an ankle brace.

“To see her go down, it’s scary,” Rosen said. “The way she crumpled and grabbed her leg, I thought it was her knee. As a coach (and) as a player, your heart sinks when you think knee. When I saw her hold her ankle, I was honestly a little relieved.”

With Cole out of the match, Minnesota managed to stave off the Michigan comeback and took the second set, 25-23.

The third set was all Golden Gophers. After jumping out to a 7-1 lead, Minnesota cruised to finish off the set and the match, 25-19.

Senior middle blocker Tori Dixon finished with a match-high 15 kills for the Golden Gophers. Erwin led the Wolverines with 11 kills.

“I thought we played really well,” Rosen said. “(Minnesota) was one of the first teams, I think, that actually came out and beat us.”

In the second match of the weekend against Wisconsin, Michigan jumped out to an early 11-6 lead in the first set. Behind a strong attack, the Badgers fought back to take an 18-14 lead and grabbed the first set comfortably, 25-16.

The Wolverines fought back in the second set behind four kills and an ace from senior outside hitter Molly Toon. Cole recorded one of her five kills to close out the set for Michigan, 25-18.

“We came together as a team (in the second set),” Toon said. “We are just fighters.”

The Badgers then fought to a 25-22 third-set victory, and Michigan responded in the fourth. After a number of acrobatic saves by both teams to extend plays, senior middle blocker Jennifer Cross overpowered the Wisconsin block with a set-high six kills. The Wolverines closed out the set, 25-20.

Despite Michigan coming into the fifth set with momentum, the last stanza was all Wisconsin. After registering multiple runs of three points, the Badgers took a 14-8 lead after three kills from middle blocker Dominique Thompson.

As snow began to cascade down outside Cliff Keen Arena, a kill by setter Lauren Carlini sealed the match and sent the Michigan faithful home disappointed.

“In the end, we didn’t do some of the things we needed to do in the fifth set, and that overshadowed the night,” Rosen said.

Cross and Toon led the Wolverines with 17 kills and 14 kills, respectively, while Ellen Chapman led the Badgers with a match-high 19 kills.

“There are a couple little things we need to work on,” Toon said. “Going up and getting kills and executing when you need to.”

Added Rosen: “(Hopefully) we can put enough together to be successful Wednesday (against Michigan State), because that is right around the corner.”