Thursday, July 31, 2014

Under The Lights III: Michigan set to play Penn State at night in October

Marissa McClain

By Alexa Dettelbach, Daily Sports Editor

It’s official: Under the Lights III will take place at Michigan Stadium Oct. 11 when Michigan faces Penn State.

Rumors swirled about whether or not the Wolverines would play their third-ever home night game in the 2014 season. The first two night games, which took place in 2011 and 2013, were both against Notre Dame. But with Michigan facing the Fighting Irish in South Bend this season, in the programs’ last scheduled matchup, the primetime opponent was in question.

But after the Athletic Department’s announcement Monday, the news is out and the Wolverines will play the Nittany Lions at 7 p.m. in a nationally televised game on ESPN or ESPN2. It will be Michigan’s second night game of the season, as its matchup against Notre Dame, in week two, is slated for a 7:30 start time.

“The night game atmosphere created by our fans has been electric and we expect that same type of energy for our first-ever conference night game against Penn State,” said Michigan coach Brady Hoke on MGoBlue.com. “Our players really enjoy playing in primetime at Michigan Stadium.”

In the first two night games, Michigan Stadium set the attendance record with the most recent crowd reaching over 114,000 fans. With the game taking place over the University’s Fall Break, the Athletic Department’s hopes of surpassing the attendance number may be short lived.