Thursday, October 30, 2014

NCAA denies Ty Isaac's hardship waiver, Michigan appealing

By Greg Garno, Managing Sports Editor
Published August 27, 2014

The NCAA denied transfer running back Ty Isaac’s hardship request to play for the Wolverines this season, Michigan coach Brady Hoke announced Wednesday.

Hoke said that Michigan has appealed the decision “last week, mid week” and is now waiting to hear back about Isaac’s status.

“(We) don’t know,” Hoke said. “You don't know how long (the appeal process) will take.”

A five-star recruit who played one season at USC, Isaac chose to transfer to be closer to his mother, who lives in Shorewood, Illinois. The NCAA requires a distance of 100 miles between home and the school a student is transferring to, but Isaac’s home is more than 250 miles away.

Isaac, the first transfer to Michigan since quarterback Steven Threet did from Georgia Tech, has not been listed on the Wolverines’ depth chart and did not play in the team’s scrimmage two weeks ago.

NOTES: The battle for the starting right guard spot has yet to be determined, but if the season began today, Hoke said redshirt senior Joey Burzynski would start. Redshirt sophomore Kyle Kalis is not ready after injuring his back. “I think we’ll know a little better here in the next 48 hours,” Hoke said. … Freshman wide receiver Drake Harris and sophomore safety Delano Hill will not be available in Saturday’s season opener against Appalachian State, according to Hoke. Harris, Hoke said, could be in line for a redshirt this season. … Hoke also indicated that Ian Bunting is also a likely candidate to redshirt.