Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Trouba adds Best Offensive Defenseman to season’s accolades

By Michael Laurila, Daily Sports Editor

DETROIT— It was a special night at the Fox Theatre.

The annual CCHA Award Show took place on Friday night, and it marked the last time the prestigious conference would celebrate its elite athletes. After the conclusion of the CCHA Tournament this weekend, the conference will disband and the teams will be joining new conferences, including Michigan to the newly-formed Big Ten hockey conference.

The Michigan hockey team, who had one of its worst regular seasons in recent memory, didn’t come away empty-handed, though. Freshman defenseman Jacob Trouba won the CCHA’s Best Offensive Defensman Award.

The Rochester, Mich. native finished the year with 12 goals and 15 assists. He led all the conference’s defenseman in goals scored — the next closest player was Notre Dame’s Robbie Russo with five goals — and total points (27).

And Trouba was hoping his night wasn’t over. After then-freshman forward Alex Guptill won the Rookie of the Year Award last season, Trouba was hoping to keep the award with the Wolverines. But Miami freshman forward Riley Barber, also a Michigan native, took home the accolade.

Michigan coach Red Berenson alluded earlier this week that he knew who would win the award, and it seemed very likely that Barber, who led the league in points with 15 goals and 23 assists, would be the recipient of the league’s final Rookie of the Year Award.

Though no other Wolverines brought home any of the more-heralded awards, junior forward Luke Moffatt was Michigan’s Scholar-Athlete recipient, and Trouba was named to the All-Rookie Team and the All-Conference Team.

And in honor of the final year, the conference came out with a CCHA All-Time Team. Forward Brendan Morrison, a 1997 graduate, was the lone Michigan player to make the dream team.

|