Monday, April 21, 2014

Tim Rohan: A win over the Buckeyes means Michigan's BCS bound

Marissa McClain/Daily

By Tim Rohan, Daily Sports Editor

If Michigan beats Ohio State on Saturday, the Wolverines will play in their first BCS bowl game since the 2007 Rose Bowl. That’s not a fact. That’s my opinion, but it’s nearly a fact if you consider the situation.

It’s not about fairness, or what’s right. It’s about money and Division-I’s winningest college football program.

I’m not here to tell you why this team — the one that looked primed for the Outback Bowl just three weeks ago — deserves anything. All that matters is what the bowls decide is important.

This week, Michigan coach Brady Hoke refused to talk about Michigan’s BCS bowl chances. To play in one of the five most prestigious bowls, the ones that used to be the only ones reserved for New Year’s Day, the ones with the biggest stakes and the biggest payouts — to accomplish that would cap an incredible first season for Hoke.

But he’s focused on Ohio State.

After three top-7 teams lost last week — Oklahoma State, Oklahoma and Oregon — the mantra ‘anything can happen’ is their bowls' new slogan. But they all have somewhat similar criteria for picking teams.

“We look at where they’re at in the overall standings,” said Kristen Pflipsen, director of public relations for the Fiesta Bowl. “What kind of matchup we could put together, compelling storylines, what makes the most sense, traveling, all of that.”

“Everything from enthusiastic fan base, star players, history and tradition of the program,” said John Sudsbury, director of communications for the Sugar Bowl. “But the biggest thing we look for is to matchup the best game possible.”

Orange Bowl Vice President of Communications Larry Wahl added another: “Then we want to associate ourselves with those who will help us maintain our brand tradition.”

So how will Michigan make it? In short, there should be nine slots that are filled by the conference champions, and then at-large teams like Alabama and Stanford. Then, in theory, there would one spot left for Michigan.

But let’s dive in.

For the sake of this examination, we’ll assume LSU and Alabama will have a rematch in the National Championship game. And even if that’s not the case, the two of them are likely to be playing in BCS games.

There are also a few more rules regarding the BCS bowls’ selection process that you need to know:
— Ten teams get to play in BCS bowls, six of which are required to be the conference champions from the automatic qualifying conferences — Big Ten, Pac 12, Big 12, SEC, ACC and yes, the Big East gets an automatic bid. Five of them have specific bowl tie-ins and the Big East is selected — just like at-large teams are. And the Sugar Bowl would have to pick two at-large teams having lost its SEC tie-in to the championship game Here are the tie-ins:

Sugar (At-large, At-large)
Fiesta (Big 12, At-large)
Rose Bowl (Big Ten, Pac 12)
Orange (ACC, At-large)

—At-large teams must be picked from the top-14 teams in the BCS Standings, and no more than two teams from the same conference can play in a BCS game.

—One team from a non-automatic qualifying conference (i.e. mid-major programs), like Houston, Boise State or TCU could get an automatic bid to play in a BCS Bowl game if it meets certain criteria: they must be the highest-ranked conference champion and ranked in the top-16 (usually it’s top-12, but the rule expands it to top-16 because no Big East team is ranked that high).

But there is only one that could get an automatic bid. If Houston wins out, the Cougars would be the seventh automatic team to make it. But if Houston loses, and TCU wins out and finishes in the top-16, then TCU could get the spot. Boise State is out of luck, unless it somehow wins its conference. But the Broncos and Horned Frogs would still be eligible for at-large bids.

—The bowls pick their at-large teams in a pre-determined order. This year’s order goes: Sugar (goes first to replace its SEC team), Fiesta, Sugar (again, in their normal spot), and finally the Orange Bowl.

Two of those spots belong to the Big East and (potentially) one of Houston or TCU or Boise State.

So then there are two spots left.

Open for any team in the top-14 — no requirements, no restrictions, just preference.

“Most people would tell you, if Stanford keeps winning, I think they’re one of those compelling stories because of Andrew Luck,” said Wahl, who was assuming Oregon would win the Pac-12 .

|