Thursday, November 27, 2014

Taylor Lewan to be arraigned on charges from December fight

By Liz Vukelich, Daily Sports Writer

Taylor Lewan, the former left tackle for the Michigan football team, will be arraigned next month and charged with three misdemeanors according to court records obtained by The Michigan Daily.

The Ann Arbor News first reported the charges.

Lewan will be charged with two counts of assault and battery and one count of aggravated assault when he appears in court on April 8.

The charges refer to a Dec. 1 incident in which two Ohio State football fans reported being assaulted by Lewan outside The Brown Jug Restaurant after the Michigan-Ohio State football game to day before.

Lewan denied any involvement in the altercation in December, saying he was simply trying to stop the fight.

“I wasn't in any fight,” he told reporters before Michigan’s appearance in the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl. “I didn't hit anybody. I was really just trying to help out a situation and break up something. I can't really go into any more details than that.”

Should he be found guilty of assault and battery, Lewan could face up to 93 days in jail or a $500 fine.

During his Michigan football career, Lewan was a two-time All American. He is expected to be an early pick in the NFL Draft this spring, being pegged as one of the top-three offensive linemen.

NOTE: Redshirt junior left guard Graham Glasgow has been suspended from spring practice and the Wolverines’ 2014 home opener against Appalachian State on August 30 for a violation of team expectations, according to a press release on Thursday.

“Each of our young men understands the standard we expect of them,” Hoke said in a statement. “It’s one that represents this great program and university, as well as their family and teammates. When their actions don’t reflect that standard, it’s very disappointing, and we must hold them accountable for their decision while helping them learn a valuable life lesson.”