Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Stonum receives 10-day jail sentence for probation violation

By Stephen J. Nesbitt, Daily Sports Editor

Michigan senior wide receiver Darryl Stonum was sentenced on Friday morning to 10 days in jail for violating probation on a conviction of a second-offense driving while visibly impaired last May.

Stonum, who redshirted the 2010 season after receiving his second DUI, was pulled over and ticketed by Ann Arbor police on Thursday morning after driving with a suspended license to and from a meeting with his probation officer, Steve Hill.

A day later, Stonum appeared in the 15th District Court in front of Judge Charles Pope and admitted he had violated probation and lying to his probation officer that he had been dropped off for his meeting by a friend.

According to the Detroit News, Pope remarked that Stonum has not paid probation fees of $1,950 that have accumulated during his seven months of probation.

“Look, man, you had an MIP (minor in possession) earlier, which got dismissed under the first-offender program; you got another MIP that got dismissed; you got a drunk-driving charge which got reduced to impaired; you got a second-offense drunk-driving charge that got reduced to second-offense impaired,” Pope told Stonum.

“You're 21 years old. To have somebody with four encounters with the criminal justice system involving the use and abuse of alcohol at the age of 21 is extremely unusual. You're less than 1 percent of the population as a result of that.”

In the aftermath of the Sugar Bowl victory at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome on Tuesday, Stonum told the Daily that he had turned his life around.

“It was a learning experience,” Stonum said just moments after Michigan finished off Virginia Tech in overtime, 23-20. “It was pretty hard. But everything happens for a reason. I’m just glad coach Hoke kept me around to be a part of this. And I’m back — I’m back now.”

Senior tight end and team captain Kevin Koger saw marked improvement from Stonum and praised his patience with the process.

On Friday, Pope certainly didn’t take it easy on the student-athlete.

“The part that's the worst is you're deceitful about it,” Pope said. “We had you coming in here, we're congratulating you, you start this group, that's all great and beautiful, but the whole time you're deceiving us behind our backs. We put a lot of resources into you for all the reasons we want to, to support you, and you're disrespecting us.

“Trust is the easiest thing to lose and the hardest thing to regain, Darryl, and that's the situation you're in.”
Stonum will again appear in the 15th District Court on Jan. 20.

Stonum apparently told Pope that he didn’t intend to lie about the violation. He reminded Pope that the 10-day sentence — beginning Friday — would cause him to miss significant class time at the beginning of the semester.

"I know the timing stinks, but it is what it is," Pope said.

In a season-end press conference on Thursday, Michigan coach Brady Hoke, who suspended Stonum indefinitely after his arrest in May, said Stonum’s status with the team had not changed.

"Until we know everything, it hasn't changed," Hoke said.

As of Friday afternoon, there was no update from the team on Stonum’s status.