Friday, October 24, 2014

Stonum suspended, arrested for drunk driving

File Photo/Daily

BY TIM ROHAN
Daily Sports Editor
Published May 8, 2011

For the second time in his four years at Michigan, senior wide receiver Darryl Stonum was arrested over the weekend for operating a vehicle while intoxicated, resulting in Michigan coach Brady Hoke suspending him indefinitely.

According to Diane Brown, spokeswoman for the University’s Department of Public Safety, the traffic stop occurred at 2:25 a.m. on Friday at the corner of Maynard and William streets in Ann Arbor. Stonum was pulled over by University Police and subsequently arrested and taken to Washtenaw County Jail.

On Saturday, Hoke announced Stonum’s punishment in a press statement.

“Darryl made a poor decision that is unacceptable and won’t be tolerated,” Hoke said. “He will be disciplined for behavior that is unbecoming of a Michigan football player.

“This is a serious situation, we are disappointed and any athletic department discipline will be handled internally. We will provide the appropriate support and counseling in order for him to learn and grow from this mistake.”

Stonum’s first drunken driving arrest came on Sept. 28, 2008, less than a month into his freshman year. He was driving more than 60 miles per hour down State Street, and nearly hit other cars before he was arrested. As a result, Stonum could have faced up to 93 days in jail, $300 in fines and up to 360 hours of community service. Instead, he was placed on 12 months probation among other minor penalties.

Then-coach Rich Rodriguez suspended Stonum for only one game, for a “violation of team rules.”

Earlier this season, Rodriguez talked about how Stonum had matured since the incident.

“When a guy messes up and everyone wants to throw him out to the wolves … it’s pleasing to fans and certainly for coaches when you see a guy grow and mature and he gets it,” Rodriguez said on Sept. 21, 2010, a few days after Stonum grabbed two touchdowns against Massachusetts. “You see that maturity kind of kick in. Sometimes they grow up and they get it. “

Stonum’s Michigan career was supposed to have followed a different trajectory, having entered the program as the No. 41 overall player, and a four-star recruit out of high school, according to Rivals.com. But Stonum posted modest numbers during his freshman and sophomore seasons — failing to catch 15 passes or more than 200 yards receiving in either year.

But in 2010, as quarterback Denard Robinson came into his own on offense, so did a few of the other receivers, Stonum included. He finished the year with 49 catches for 633 yards and four touchdowns. And he averaged seven catches for 92 yards in three games against the cream of the crop of the Big Ten, in Ohio State, Wisconsin and Iowa.

Stonum was expected to be a member of a deep receiver group, all returning in 2011, featuring redshirt junior Roy Roundtree, redshirt senior Junior Hemingway and senior Martavious Odoms.

Hoke did leave room for Stonum to return at some point during the Stafford, Texas native’s senior year.

“If he fulfills all of the commitments he has to the legal system and our program, we will make a determination regarding his return to the team,” Hoke added.

|