Sunday, April 20, 2014

The road ends at Auburn for women’s gymnastics

McKenzie Berezin/Daily
Junior Katie Zurales and Michigan saw their season end this weekend. Buy this photo

By Glenn Miller Jr., Daily Sports Writer

There will be no Cinderella story for the Michigan women’s gymnastics team in 2012. The senior-less team, which has been riddled by injuries all season, had an opportunity to prove their doubters wrong during this weekend’s NCAA Regional Competion, but the glass slipper just didn’t fit right.

The 21st-ranked Wolverines promised all season that they would put together their best performance at the NCAA Tournament, and they didn’t disappoint.

After tallying a season-high 196.325, Michigan (16-10) watched its season come to an unexpected end on Saturday at the hands of Oregon State. The Beavers’ Leslie Mak, who leads the nation on beam, hit a 9.925 routine to edge out the Wolverines by .125 points in a battle for second place. Georgia, who defeated Michigan on March 9, finished first in the Auburn regionals and will join Oregon State in the NCAA Championships.

“I am proud of them for a lot of reasons,” said Michigan coach Bev Plocki. “We fought through a very difficult season. A lot of people came up to me after the meet and told me how incredibly impressed they were with how we performed and how we finished the season. Everyone knew what we were going through. That's nice and great to hear, but losing by .125 is a little hard to swallow.”

Despite falling short of their 20th NCAA Championships berth, the Wolverines will send junior Katie Zurales and sophomore Joanna Sampson as representatives at the NCAA Individual Event Finals. Zurales’ 39.375 as an all-arounder earns her the top score of the non-qualifying team’s, while Sampson tied for the regional title on vault with a 9.925.

“I’m not going to lie, I am really sad that my team isn’t going to be there with me, but I am really excited that Michigan will be represented at nationals,” Zurales said. “I can’t wait to go out there and represent them well. I want to bring home something for Michigan, because we deserve it with everything we’ve been through. I’m going to put it all out there and do it for the block ‘M.’ ”

The night looked promising for Michigan, as it opened the meet with a 49.300 on vault. Zurales and Sampson led the way competing from the heart of the lineup with a pair of 9.925s to tie Zurales’ career-high. Sophomore Reema Zakharia debuted a new routine that earned a 9.850, followed by freshmen Sachi Sugiyama’s 9.825. The event’s first two competitors, sophomore Stephanie Colbert and freshman Annette Miele, also contributed with scores of 9.750 and 9.775, respectively.

The momentum continued on uneven bars, where the Wolverines totaled a 49.050. An impressive 9.850 from sophomore Shelby Gies headlined the event for Michigan, along with Zurales’ 9.775 to start the rotation. A disappointing 9.550 from Miele amplified the pressure for the rest of Michigan’s lineup. After a pair of 9.800s from Sugiyama and Sampson, the Wolverines turned to junior Brittnee Martinez for support.

Martinez, who returned to action for the first time since injuring her ankle on March 2 at Penn State, delivered a 9.825 and preserved Michigan’s score. The Wolverines’ 98.350 score at the halfway point of the meet was just half a point behind Georgia, which held the lead throughout.

In its third rotation, a few wobbles on balance beam resulted in a 48.750 for Michigan. Zurales’ team-high 9.850 tied for third place, followed by a leadoff score of 9.800 from Gies. Contributions from Sampson’s 9.750 and Miele’s 9.700 placed the Wolverines in a good position, but a slipped dismount from Sugiyama earned a 9.650. Colbert rounded out the lineup with a 9.500, but it was not counted in Michigan’s final score for the event.

“Obviously, I wanted to contribute to the team,” Gies said. “After Annette had a mess-up on bars, I knew there was no room for error. I just went out there, felt confident and trusted myself. It worked out.”

Georgia finished off its evening during the Wolverines’ bye round, which put the battle for second between Michigan and Oregon State. The Beavers’ 49.300 on bars put them ahead of the Wolverines heading into the final rotation by a mere four-tenths of a point.

Another late rally seemed to be in the makings as Michigan prepared itself for the floor exercise. A career-high 9.875 from Sugiyama earned fourth place for the event, while Sampson and Zakharia added a pair of 9.850s. Another set of identical scores, this time from Zurales’ and Colbert’s 9.825, deepened the Wolverines’ push.