Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Recruiting Rundown: Nov. 12

By Justin Stern, For the Daily

The 2014 Michigan football recruiting class is currently ranked seventh in the nation by ESPN and 13th by Scout. With the highly-anticipated decision of defensive end Da’Shawn Hand this Thursday, Michigan looks to add to one of the best recruiting classes the school has seen. Here’s a look at how the 2014 commits performed this past weekend in their high-school games:

Jabrill Peppers, defensive back/running back: Paramus Catholic (N.J.) at Bergen Catholic (N.J.); Ranking: ESPN (2) Scout (4).

Peppers scored four touchdowns — two receiving, another on a run and one on an interception return — to lead Paramus Catholic to a 44-6 victory.

Drake Harris, running back: Grand Rapids Christian (Mich.) at Zeeland West (Mich.); Ranking: ESPN (72) Scout (32).

Harris missed the entire season due to a hamstring injury he suffered in late September. Grand Rapids Christian was eliminated from the Division III state playoffs after a 48-35 loss.

Bryan Mone, defensive tackle: Highland (Utah); Ranking: ESPN (76) Scout (90).

Mone’s team was eliminated from the Utah Division 4A state playoffs last week. He finished the season with 41 tackles and 1.5 sacks.

Lawrence Marshall, defensive end: Southfield (Mich.); Ranking: ESPN (112) Scout (106).

Southfield was eliminated in the first round of the MHSAA Division II state playoffs after a 17-16 defeat to Birmingham Seaholm on Nov. 1. Marshall led one of the best defense’s in the state along with defensive linemen Malik McDowell. Michigan is still targeting McDowell for the 2014 class.

Ian Bunting, tight end: Hinsdale Central (Ill.); Rankings: ESPN (118) Scout (268).

Bunting’s team was eliminated from the state playoffs last week with a 42-14 loss. Bunting finished the year with 10 receptions for 165 yards.

Michael Ferns, linebacker/running back: St. Clairsville (Ohio) at Liberty Union (Ohio); Ranking: ESPN (123) Scout (175).

St. Clairsville was eliminated in the first round of the Division V state playoffs with a 31-0 loss. Ferns finished the season with 31 rushes for 441 yards and six touchdowns. He also tallied 144 tackles, four sacks and two forced fumbles.

Wilton Speight, quarterback: Collegiate School (Va.) vs. Flint Hill (Va.); Ranking: ESPN (128) Scout (NR).

Collegiate School defeated Flint Hill 27-14 in the VISAA Division I state semifinals. Speight went 15-for-24 with 245 yards and three touchdowns.

Chase Winovich, linebacker/running back: Thomas Jefferson (Pa.) at Highlands (Pa.); Ranking: (NR).

Winovich led Thomas Jefferson to a 23-14 victory with 200 yards rushing and three touchdowns. He also tallied five tackles. Thomas Jefferson currently has the longest winning streak in its conference and has secured the conference championship.

Jared Wangler, linebacker: De La Salle Collegiate (Mich.); Ranking: (NR).

De La Salle was eliminated in the first round of the MHSAA Division I state playoffs. Wangler had been battling a shoulder injury most of the season.

Maurice Ways, wide receiver: Detroit Country Day (Mich.) vs. Notre Dame Prep (Mich.); Ranking: (NR).

Ways had nine receptions for 185 yards and three touchdowns as Detroit Country Day defeated Notre Dame Prep 49-27 in the district final of the MHSAA Division IV state playoffs.

Noah Furbush, linebacker: Kenton (Ohio) vs. Galion (Ohio); Ranking: (NR).

Furbush finished the regular season with 93 total tackles and two sacks and helped Kenton to a 58-14 win over Galion in the first round of the OHSAA Division IV playoffs.

Brady Pallante, defensive tackle: Barron Collier (Fla.) vs. Lely (Fla.); Ranking: (NR).

Barron Collier finished its season with a 14-12 loss. Pallante will be on a grayshirt scholarship to Michigan, meaning he will not participate in team activities until joining the team on full scholarship in 2015.