Kevin Clare isn’t one to be shy or quiet, or so his teammates say.

They say the senior defenseman is a vocal player with an outgoing personality around his teammates, though, just not outside the locker room.

In the week of preparation before the final home series of his collegiate career, Clare chose not to speak to reporters. But he’s never led with his words this year anyway. Instead, he’s always led by example.

Perhaps now more than ever.

“He’s played his best hockey since he’s come to Michigan,” said Michigan coach Red Berenson. “And that’s what you look for in a senior. You look for him to be a guiding light on defense, make big plays, and for the most part he has.”

This season, Clare has blocked a team-high 72 shots, 27 more than the next closest teammate — senior defenseman Mac Bennett. Over the past six games, Clare has recorded a plus-five rating and blocked 18 shots, which rankes among the top on the team in that span.

Clare’s game has become similar to his personality. It isn’t nonexistent, just what’s necessary. But it isn’t over the top or flashy but it gets the job done.

“He’s not quiet, he’s not loud,” said freshman defenseman Kevin Lohan. “He’s a funny guy, though.”

On a team that has struggled to show consistency and put together a series without a split as of late, Clare’s presence has been important. He rarely takes a penalty — only four this year for eight minutes — and he has posted a plus/minus rating of zero. His willingness to block shots and to make an extra pass has been key. Clare’s 10 assists is second only to Bennett.

His play has helped a Michigan defense limit teams to fewer than three goals per game in Bennett’s absence.

And Clare’s performance of late has earned him a spot on the power play and penalty kill — roles he rarely took on in the first half of the season.

“He’s our steadiest defenseman and has been all year,” Berenson said. “He’s definitely been one of the guys that’s picked up the slack when Mac Bennett was gone. Whether it’s on our penalty killing, shot blocking or power play.”

Added Bennett: “I think Kevin Clare has stepped up tremendously. He’s playing some of his best hockey he’s ever played right now and I think he’s really carrying the defensive corps with him right now.”

But even last year when he played in 19 games, missing the second half of the season with an injury, his 40 shots was still good for third.

“He’s always been pretty steady,” Bennett said. “He set the bar high for himself and he needs to lead by example. And he’s doing that right now.”

Clare, often one who has seemingly avoided the spotlight off and on the ice, has yet to speak to reporters this year, choosing to let his game speak over his words.

As Michigan continues to search for an identity late into the year, maybe it’d be wise to take a page out of his book.

NOTES: Bennett returned to skating with the team on Monday after he missed the past two weekends with what was called an upper-body injury. Berenson says Bennett is “on track” to return this weekend against Minnesota. … Junior forward Andrew Sinelli sat out practice with a bag of ice taped to his shoulder. Berenson says his progress is still being monitored and a decision will be made later this week. Sinelli played both games in the series against Michigan State.